Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Randomness of the workshop maps' long string numbers folders

Hey all.

I'd like to know if anyone reached any solid conclusion about the behavior of the workshop publish when creating those folders with the long sting of random numbers.

More specifically: does anyone know if there would be any chance to update a map and avoid that random number from changing? and under which circumstances? I think I accidentally managed to keep the same folder's name (numbers) a couple of times when updating a map, but I don't know how exactly... and thus it's very difficult to replicate it (I'm starting to think that maybe I never achieved it >.<)... I've tried updating quickly, within 2 minutes, and keeping the map's size... but I didn't succeed in any of those attempts, every time I get a new folder with a new number.

I'd really need to control that, I'd need to know how this works.

Anyone?

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Sorry I can't offer any insight (i have no clue) but is this for some sort of branching map switch in workshop maps?

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

Hey Ben!

Thanks for posting. Well this is for custom soundscripts. I managed with the help of some ppl at VALVe to eventually understand the majority of the sound operator stacks system and it is all working perfect (they introduced an recent update in which now maps grab 1 custom soundscript file per map automatically) except for when you publish your map to the workshop that the map's name is changed... and it all gets messed up :( (since that soundscript file is grabbed by map name...)

I'm still waiting for a further reply from VALVe guys though... let's see if they can do anything to make maps behave the same with soundscripts than with custom soundscapes (that do work even when published to the WS).

I'm eager to publish an introduction guide to the Sound Operator Stacks that is almost finished already... but can't do without offering at least a workaround for this issue to make maps grab the pakratted soundscript file...

Oh, yes I see what you mean. I thought maybe it would be for predicting what the map would be called so you could make some sort of map hub rather than a linear path. Also, try downloading the first map ever on the workshop, see if it has a shorter number than the others. If it does, it may have to do with the number of maps on the workshop

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
josepezdj wrote:
(they introduced an recent update in which now maps grab 1 custom soundscript file per map automatically) except for when you publish your map to the workshop that the map's name is changed... and it all gets messed up :( (since that soundscript file is grabbed by map name...)

Does it look only at the map name, or the whole path? Because in my experience, the map name itself stays the same, it's just the containing folder that gets a random number as its name.

Although you can always do it the hacker way if this doen't work ;)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
josepezdj wrote:
(they introduced an recent update in which now maps grab 1 custom soundscript file per map automatically) except for when you publish your map to the workshop that the map's name is changed... and it all gets messed up :( (since that soundscript file is grabbed by map name...)

Does it look only at the map name, or the whole path? Because in my experience, the map name itself stays the same, it's just the containing folder that gets a random number as its name.

Yeah, that was what I meant indeed, it's the random number folder that changes, and yes, the engine searches by path and name:

- for a normal map not published on the workshop, it looks for "/maps/[map_name]_level_sounds.txt".

- when the map is on the workshop, it needs the whole path, it searches for "/maps/workshop/[long_string_of_numbers_folder]/[map_name]_level_sounds.txt".

Therefore it's almost impossible to achieve my goal if each time that I republish the map (after editing the soundscript adding the correct path) the folder nake containing the map changes.

HMW wrote:
Although you can always do it the hacker way if this doen't work ;)

I'd swear I already tried, but I'll retry it as soon as I arrive home just to be sure. Maybe I didn't pack the manifest or whatever when I tried and it failed...

EDIT: Damn it, Rik, it DOES work! :notworthy: I think I know where I failed when I tried this like 4-5 months ago: I used a point_clientcommand instead, and maybe never packed the manifest due to some misinformation >.<

Thanks! :D