Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The feel of portal

Hello everyone, I am still here. I just look at the forums but have slowed my posting.
Anyways, I have no idea if this has been discussed yet or not, but in my opinion, Portal 1 has this, feeling, or something, that I can't put my finger on. Its not present in any other game, too. I mean, could it be described as a feeling of loneliness? Mystery? Am I the only one who feels this? Possibly it could be the fact that you don't know what's next; what's at the end of testing. Portal 2 has a lot of foreshadowing, while portal 1's stort is mostly guessing. Is it the music maybe? The simplicity? Even the graphics? It may just be me, but it has always lingered in my mind why I get this feeling whenever I play or even see it. If you get this aesthetic too, what do you think it is?

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb
Arachnaphob wrote:
Hello everyone, I am still here. I just look at the forums but have slowed my posting.
Anyways, I have no idea if this has been discussed yet or not, but in my opinion, Portal 1 has this, feeling, or something, that I can't put my finger on. Its not present in any other game, too. I mean, could it be described as a feeling of loneliness? Mystery? Am I the only one who feels this? Possibly it could be the fact that you don't know what's next; what's at the end of testing. Portal 2 has a lot of foreshadowing, while portal 1's stort is mostly guessing. Is it the music maybe? The simplicity? Even the graphics? It may just be me, but it has always lingered in my mind why I get this feeling whenever I play or even see it. If you get this aesthetic too, what do you think it is?

Yeah, you took the words out my mouth. Portal 1 is pretty much closed in with compact puzzles and smaller BTS areas with relaxed music. (You still get the same "feng shui" with the Portal 2 collab textures, because of the actual BUILD of the chambers). You sort of feel lonely, and you also get this "I'm stuck in a lab".

Portal 2 is more open and uses more shiny stuff and has electronic music and makes you exited when you play it. Also, the 2010 visuals of the beta version of the game make you even more excited with these fast moving panels with different models and better colours. So it's more "adventurous".

Very true.

I actually had this same feeling in games like Payday: The Heist and Hotline Miami 1, which is the reason I like the prequels as well as the sequels.

It's also why I prefer portal. It's amazing! I love it.

Me too