Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Source sdk player shadow

I'm not sure if i have posted this in the right section, but if anyone could answer this only question.
Is there any way to get the player shadow in portal, or will i end up coding everything?

You can make shadows with light. Try using an env_projected_texture. This light entity can create nice looking shadows. You can also mess around with a shadow_control entity.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal
UsCobra11 wrote:
You can make shadows with light. Try using an env_projected_texture. This light entity can create nice looking shadows. You can also mess around with a shadow_control entity.

I thought the players couldn't see their shadows whatsoever unless they were in thirdperson view.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile wrote:
UsCobra11 wrote:

I thought the players couldn't see their shadows whatsoever unless they were in thirdperson view.

nor can players see their own reflections in first person.

Hmm. I'm not sure then. I don't think it's that important of a thing, though.

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

There are two things I can say to that topic:
First: sometimes I see real shadows on my portalgun from an env_projectedtexture like it does in CS:GO. I don't why this happens, but it does sometimes.
Second: You could turn on the thirdpersonview and move the camera to a first-person view (should be possible somehow). Or you could use a point_viewproxy (the same entity was used in the container scene at the beginning of the game). I don't know if you see yourself while using it, but it's worth a try.

Sexy shadow, ain't it?

There's a workaround to have the player shadow in firstperson. Just attach chell model to info_player_start and in logic_auto set OnMapSpawn >> chell >> SetParent >> !player. In model properties set minimum fade out distance. This way env_projected_texture will cast model's shadow. Though the shadow has no portalgun.

God bless the quick save's inventor...(Portal: Prelude)