Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Running the demo is not helpful!

I am (naturally) much too lazy to pay for Portal, so I got the free demo and downloaded some custom maps. They can be run in the free version and work okay, but:

A) There are some SFX which I cannot hear, and

B) The machine freezes so I cannot return out of the game and can only play the game, and I have to manually restart the computer. It freezes completely when I either die or attempt to quit out.

I downloaded "A Portal to Success" and tried playing it. Everything was going fine. I entered the red room and eventually got rid of the turrets after dying several times, but could not hear the turret dialogue or gunfire, or the portal shooting SFX. I could hear the music track and Chell walking, but that was it. Then I got all the way up to another platform and was looking for a way to get the red cube when I look up and see a freaking ROCKET TURRET RIGHT ABOVE MY HEAD! TOTAL SHOCK!!! I couldn't hear it! So then I jump and fall down, and so I try to figure out what to do when the freaking rocket shoots me from above and kills me because I couldn't hear it targeting me.

What should I do? About the SFX, I get why the turrets can't be heard (the demo cuts you off after test 10 before the part where they come into the story) but the portals not being heard? Not sure what's going on there... can I download turret dialogue and gunfire SFX somewhere and place it into the game files? As for the machine crashing, maybe I need to get rid of that labyrinth map. It might be causing the problems there...

It's probably because the Demo excludes the sounds that are only part of the full version.

Seriously, just buy Portal. Don't ask us to help you replace the files that you're obviously missing.

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Seriously, just buy Portal. Don't ask us to help you replace the files that you're obviously missing.
Lpfreaky90 wrote:
FelixGriffin wrote:

Well, what you're doing here is a little shady, even if it's not really pirating because you're not playing Valve maps...it's only ten dollars.

Okay. Correction: My parents are not willing to let me pay for the full version so I have to use the demo.

You honestly can't afford $10? Friend me on steam and Ill buy it for you. Jeez.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."
iWork925 wrote:
You honestly can't afford $10? Friend me on steam and Ill buy it for you. Jeez.

Okay. I did so, assuming this is the right profile. I'm foamydude.