Please or Register to create posts and topics.

GLaDOS Lines Not Playing

Hello! I decided to pop into Portal 1 today to fool around, and was struck by GLaDOS not playing her voice lines. The subtitles were showing up, but no audio. I've already tried verifying the game, re-installing, rebuilding audio cache, etc., but it still comes up with the "not in disk/repository" console error. I've checked and the files are all in the GCF. I've been at it for an hour or so now, anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I checked my activity feed in Steam, and there's something to do with a beta for users with a new Steam content delivery system. Is anyone else having the same problem as I, and if so is this new thing interfering with the game?

The last time I played Portal 1 was three days ago, and I didn't have the problem then. When was the last time you played it before the problem started? Can you confirm it's a very recent thing, or is it something that might have been a problem for some time and you only just now replayed and discovered it?

I just made a fresh install with the beta and it's working fine! Maybe give the beta a go ;)

It fixed the voice problem, but this beta has one terrible side-effect: Sourcemods [including well established ones such as Portal Pro and Portal Prelude] do not work under this new system.

Check what happens if you change the SteamAppId to 400 in the GameInfo.txt for the mods. Can't do that myself right now

Lpfreaky90 wrote:
Check what happens if you change the SteamAppId to 400 in the GameInfo.txt for the mods. Can't do that myself right now

I've already done that; so far all the mods are throwing up the following error:
"Can't find background image materials/console/startup_loading.vtf"
I'm going to see if that exists in the Portal folder; they've relocated it to Steamapps/common/Portal, and now it's in .pak format so . . . eugh.

EDIT: It appears that GCFscape can't open "portal_pak_dir.vpk", so that's a bummer.

Super-colliding-super-edit: So, I reverted to the non-beta after I read on the official bug-report place that the no-voices was a reported bug, and that Valve released an update today fixing it. As well, the beta removed the edge-glitch and the thing ruined mods with the .pak system. If they officially make Portal .pak [not beta], I will be mad for the rest of my life. Mods still aren't working, though.