Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I Need Help!

I need help convincing a friend to play Portal and Portal 2. He played the demo version of Portal and he thought it was boring. How do I convince him to change his mind how awesome the Portal series really is? It Is not a typical game like some games out there.

Click my Steam Profile image to view my Portal 2 Workshop!

Single Player Tests - Excellent Partnership (Coop) - Single Player BEE Mod Tests

Let him play the first part of portal 2.
It looks prettier, it is more exciting, you have wheatley, and the difficulty increase is great too, even for people who never played portal 1.

He's refusing. Why, I don't know. Need more help!

Single Player Tests - Excellent Partnership (Coop) - Single Player BEE Mod Tests

Update:

My friend has claimed there isn't much to the game series. It got me thinking. If there wasn't much to this game series, that means he will find the hardest of tests that we know of easy to solve within a certain timeframe. I made a deal with him. If he could solve any one test of my choosing, either within 10 minutes or be able to casually solve a test without much thought and then claim it was a boring test, I would stop bringing up the game to him. The catch is he can't lie because that would contradict my observations of him solving the test depending on how much time it takes him and if he asks for help. He agreed.

The test I chose was BEN 77's "Testing"; a test that took me a good 30 minutes to solve and I am a seasoned player. Keep in mind my friend hasn't played much of Portal and never played Portal 2, even the demo.

I saw my friend play and I can tell he was stumped because he was trying things that wouldn't work because BEN 77 phased out alternative solutions. My friend asked for hints twice before admitting defeat at around 30 minutes in. He then asked me to solve the test for him. He was frustrated that I was able to solve it in a way he never thought of! It has been a while since I last played BEN 77's map, since November 2013. I remembered the solution vaguely but I was able to demonstrate it and my friend scoffed!

Although frustrated, he finally admitted that there was more to the game series than he once thought. I'm going to wait a little while now before asking for him to play the game again so that way the themes presented sink into his head and has had time to cool off. Once he is done, I now have him interested to play the game from the start! I am reassuring him that the game will gradually build him up to face similar chambers. It isn't going to be as hard as the one I let him play.

Ben77 <3
Savior of awesome Portal 2 stuffs!

Haha, that's one way to do it :lol:

I probably would have picked White Room, which does a great job of putting the solution right in front of you and then mocking you about how you still can't solve it.

well ok.

quaternary wrote:
Haha, that's one way to do it :lol:

I probably would have picked White Room, which does a great job of putting the solution right in front of you and then mocking you about how you still can't solve it.

I wanted to give him something that I solved, that matches much more closely to the Single Player campaign theme, that has a lot to it (friend originally claimed there is not much to the Portal series), that is a bit more structured, and a bit more "on rails" while still puzzling to stay on those "rails".

Three other choices I was considering for just one test for my friend to play was my remake of Jotta's Confused, Fluppy's Multipurpose, and Near's Climb. There is something about those chambers capture that Toncica's White Room challenge doesn't quite capture. I just can't put my finger on it.

I played portal 2 befor i played portal 1 and i still enjoyed it!

I am currently working on a Portal 2 Map series 'Testing for life'

Check out my Steam Workshop Here