Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Slanted/angled func_rotating

Page 1 of 2Next

UGH, I've been spending 12 hours trying to figure this out.
I need to make a model (fan) that is parented to a func_rotating rotate on a wall on a 45 degree angle. I've tried every single axis combination, every func_rotating and model PYR combination, and all of it just results in the fan rotating really strangely and wrongly. I've also tried these in a func_instance, but it made no difference. I will love anyone that can actually help me with this. Thanks!

i do not agree with your opinion please remove yourself

Try parenting your func_rotating to a func_door_rotating that will open to the desired angle, then make the door open very quickly when the map loads.

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Try parenting your func_rotating to a func_door_rotating that will open to the desired angle, then make the door open very quickly when the map loads.

Tried that already, still makes the func_rotating rotate very strangely in undesired ways.

Can you send a video or something?

TreasureGhost wrote:
Can you send a video or something?

Just imagine the fan model rotating in every direction except the 45 degree angle.

No idea how to imagine it, it sounds impossible.

Okay, here's a better description, I know what you mean but not how to solve it.
Pretty much rotating brushes are able to rotate along the X Y and Z axis. However, if you want something to rotate with its axis 10 degrees offset from one of the previously mentioned, well, you can't. If you parent it to a func_door _rotating which opens, immediately, the brush itself may rotate, but the axis will not. Its been a while since I've looked at hammer, but I'm curious if there's some sort of rotating point entity instead of a brush entity where you can set an axis.

EDIT: This may be your answer

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb

@splatt: I tried myself for some time and it's not possible by using a func_rotating. Maybe using a convoluted system that includes two func_rotating entities, one parented to the other, with complementary rotation angles...

You could try a different entity; I've searched around and some ppl seem to have sorted this issue out by using a phys_motor. Haven't tried myself yet though.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

@Arachnaphob and @josepezdj, I've already tried that; however, phys_motor is only for physics objects and acts weird with the static/dynamic model, creating collision issues.

Would it be plausible to make a prop_physics, mar it invisible and have no colision, attach to motor, and then parent something to that?

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have everyone wonder how you did it.
Musical website Moddb
Page 1 of 2Next