Please or Register to create posts and topics.

p2map_publish tool not launching

Hey guys, I'm uploading a map for the first time on my new computer to the steam workshop. I've been publishing maps for years on my old computers, but when I try to now on my new computer, the publishing tool doesn't launch. There is no error message. I tried dissabling my antivirus to see if that was blocking it. I tried verifying the integraty of the game cache, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling portal 2. None of this helped. Has anyone seen this issue before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it working? I should still hopefully be able to move my maps to my tablet, and upload from there if I need to, but that would be a really inconvienent work around.

Portal 2 update broke it.

If you have an old computer, make sure Portal 2 can't update and use that one. If not I suppose you could use the old-school trick of uploading a dummy PTI map and switching the .bsp file and thumbnail before uploading, or the even-older-school way of publishing the .bsp right here on TWP :P

Since the date of the .exe not changed, its a different ussue. Today when I tried to start it, it says "Steam must be running for this application to function!", even if I restart steam. So I guess it cant connect o steam or the IP where it supposed to check and read workshop data for the user (to query the map list first) changed and they forgot to update something. Noone reported this yet? Does it work with other games with workshop and custom content?

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-

I know that it's client side issues, because I tested it out as I was opening steam, and it worked. Then after I exited, it updated and it broke. (not to say I fixed the problem I first listed for this thread, I'm on a different computer now.)
I'm trying to see if any of my friends have not updated yet. Maybe we can compare the files and see what has changed. If the problem is a file changing where an IP is pointing to, maybe we can edit it back, or change the host file to rerout the ip back to where it's suppose to go.

Probably server side problem.
And I checked the file date, its 2014. same as before, its just cant connect the same way as before, an IP or something else serverside changed and now it can't detect steam.
or maybe not the program itself, but a DLL it uses changed that cant connect properly (thats why the exe stayed the same version but worked before the patch). Almost ALL .dll changed with the update at the SteamAppscommonportal 2bin directory, so hard to tell which fails. Copying back an "older" exe would probably do nothing, may work with the older version of the DLLs if we only temporarily copy them back just for the publishing.
As I see the publisher taps into: inputsystem.dll, steam.dll, steam_api.dll ... uses some other dll as well but those just not relevant or windows dlls.
Anyone have an older version of those?
maybe they are the same for all game, so can be copied from another steam game? :)

ps: I tried to mess around with previous dll versions, but it started to give errors about missing function calls in dlls... so I guess we need to wait until they fix it... hopefully Valve knows about it... right?!

I don't have access to them, but I have a friend that has an external hard drive that has not been able to update yet. I asked him to grab the DLLs and either give them to me, or post them here when he get's the chance. I don't have any experience with looking into .dll files. I guess I was hoping for a config file having an IP address or something like that. But if you can take a look when I get them, that would be great.

I have also sent valve a ticket letting them know in case they don't know about it yet. I don't normally trust steam support, but I'm hoping that it's a big enough problem for them to make a priority out of it.

Wierd thing is that there's no problem to publish a map from in-game editor. And it's even possible to have a workaround to publish a hammer map through it.

God bless the quick save's inventor...(Portal: Prelude)

I have 32 bit windows XP and it works fine for me still luckily. I haven't checked on my 64 bit windows 8

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

I got most of the old dll files DaMaGepy listed here: http://co-design.us/owncloud/index.php/ ... Kh96xw0D6R
I'll put the other one up when I have it in the same folder.

thanks. can you just ZIP all DLL withing that directory and share? :)
they are from a not-updated comp? 32 or 64 bit windows?