Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Limiting Coop Abilities

Hello,

Can someone spare me the decompiling and tell how i can the following?
I want to make a coop map and i want whenever i want (throw triggers mostly) to be able to
1) Lock(disable)/unlock remote view for both players -important-
2) Disable/Enable the ping tool -important-
3) Activate/Deactivate Portal gun without forcing the player to drop it.
4) Disable/enable Gestures
5) Hide portal outlines throw walls

Im assuming i have to use server command for these but i dont know. If you know the answer to any of these, please share.
Thanks.

#5 is easy - portal_draw_ghosting 0.

Turn it back to 1 when you finish the map:)

quaternary wrote:
#5 is easy - portal_draw_ghosting 0.

Turn it back to 1 when you finish the map:)

Thanks a lot dude. I wonder if doing it with point_servercommand will do it for both players though. I will try it and post results

No one else got anyhting on the other 4 things? Damn it. I know they are possible so i assumed someone would have figured them out before me.

I know it is possible to disable gesture but I forgot the exact details. I know it may involve an env_global. Try decompiling valve'f first coop map.

For the portalgun, activate a game_ui and uncheck all the flags except disable weapon.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

For number 3, I've done that before, sort of. I used the weaponstrip entity (not the brush) and immediately telleported the other type of gun to the player, where one gun shot portals, and the other one wouldn't(shot paint instead, it was a pretty fun mechanic). The problem is that it makes it look like you are picking up the gun when it switches. It's still a cool effect though, just might not be what you want.
For number 1, I have a couple ideas, but i don't know if they would work. There is a config file in the portal 2 files. If you were to make a version of that where the button to remote view was undefined, and packed it in your map, you might be able to disable it while the player is playing your map. That depends on whether portal actively reads that config file, or uses it when portal launches though. Another option might be to have a timer send the command -remote_view at a very high frequency. I don't know if this stops the short term remote view, but it would make the +remote_view command ineffective. A script would do that much better than a timer if you know scripting though.

I've never experimented with pings or gestures, so I can't help with those at all.

decompiled a valve map and found out how to disable pings and taunts:

place down 4 env_globals

set "Global State to Set" to these 4 things, 1 per entity.
no_pinging_orange
no_pinging_blue
no_taunting_blue
no_taunting_orange

When you want to activate them, just send them a TurnOn output

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

Thanks so much for the help guys. :notworthy: