Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Light emmiting textures

Page 1 of 2Next

okay so i looked into trying to make a texture create radiant glowing light. More specifically i am trying to create a radioactive rod

thus far i tried failed several methods:

-using existing light materials, which are not mobile and thus do mot travel with the brush or model
-using sprites which only look good at a certain angle
-making new textures with selfillum which has inconsistent results; dev_interiorlight02b versus indicator_unchecked

Just when I think I understand the system, it changes on me.

Necro:

Only way to render a light after compilation is to use a dynamic light source https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lighting#Dynamic_light_sources.
Please note that some dynamic lighting entities can only have one active at one time.

Edit: If the item doesn't need a large light effect, it might be better to use a sprite to mock a glow instead.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Did you try to use a custom rad. file ? That could work

hi, i just crawled out of the briney deep of hell and now i know even less about whatever the hell your talking about.

please explain it to me like i just crawled out of the womb ten seconds ago, because i am nowhere closer to making a texture light up an entire room like a lamp

Here's some explaination for glowing textures:

Brushes can be applied with light-emitting textures but they can only alter the lightmaps (explained here) and therefore categorised as 'static' lighting. You can alter the some states of these lights, like turning them on and off, but ultimately cannot be moved.

If you wanted to create a moveable object that emits light, you will need to use a dynamic light.

Your best bet to make a glowing fuel-rod, would be to create a $selfillum or unlitgeneric texture for your model. Pair this with a parented light_dynamic and glowing sprite (env_sprite or env_sprite_clientside) and you should be right.

Please note that dynamic lights are expensive to render and in some cases can only render one dynamic light at a time (e.g. env_projected_texture).

I dont wanna use entities, i am trying to cut down on them to save space for everything else in the map.

I already mentioned there are textures ingame that emit light such as dev_interiorlight02b which do not use entities.

But all $selfillum and unlitgeneric do is make the texture itself bright, not the rest of the world

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING?

I need instructions on how to make it do, not an enclyclopedia explaining why it do

Is the object static (like a wall) or moveable (like a cube)?
Physics objects unfortunately cannot self-emit light and the VMT properties are there just to mock a glow.

EDIT: If you are using a model, might be a great idea to fiddle with the $phong attributes. They can produce some cool glow-like effects on your textures.

Relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsklE7VRPk

i am getting the sense you are not even trying to help me here

JUST TELL ME HOW TO MAKE MY CUSTOM TEXTURE DO WHAT THIS TEXTURE IS DOING

Page 1 of 2Next