Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Light bug

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi there, I am having a problem, I am using a PTI panel instance, and I've set it in the map, it works perfectly, but there is only one issue, this bug: http://imgur.com/tGGwXpP (too big dimensions to upload so I've sent a direct link).
As you can see, the panel is 128x128, the edges are bugged, do you know any way to fix it without making an instance from scratch?

That bug happens when floors, and sometimes other surfaces, are cut into different parts.
I've had it happen to me several times, but I don't know any fix for it yet.
Have you tried doing a full compile and checking if the bug still happens?

ImageImage

I remember having the same lighting issue and solving it into Hammer... I can't remember how exactly right now though. The panel instance is a func_brush, and thus, it has some lighting-related properties. Try "Shadows" = "NO" (set to YES by default), this way you will prevent the brush from casting shadows on itself...

And btw, you don't really need to make a new instance from scratch, just open the one you're currently using into Hammer and hit the "Edit Instance" button, after you're done editing it "save it as..." a different name ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

I know his may not help, but you might want to check to make sure you are doing a full compile, I know the HRD only compile can lead to lighting issues.

@l1zardr0ckets
Always full compiling.
@josepezdj
It is set to NO by default...
And the edit instance is what I am using exactly.

Oh, yeah, sorry, it's set to YES by default :P

Follow Lizard's advice, compiling FULL usually solve many lighting issues...

Hmm... I can't remember clearly, and I'm not in front of my computer to check it, but if there's an arm model under the panel in that instance, maybe is causing some shadowing on the panel... so you can try disabling the shadows for the arm model: Disable Shadows = YES.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Thanks Jose! :)

It also looks like it may be a different texture above that panel too(I see three different white floors like that when I search it up), or at the very least, the texture isn't lined up with the tiles around it. Id say your best bet would be to make it a different texture and see how that works? Maybe test what happens when you use the black metal floor texture.

Again, set to YES by default, I also tried to enabling shdaows but it has the same effect, it is probably another case and not the shadows, also I've tried to use another texture, still the same and saw everything is igned up correctly.

I suspect that the problem comes from where the brush starts on the map, and how much lighting is around it. I've noticed that a lot of objects look like that after they move from a dark area. I have 3 recommendations:
1: check the animations of the arm and see if you can tweak the setup to have the initial position to be how you want it to look. This would create the problem again after it moves, so it's only good for if you are trying to get it to blend in more while it is closed.
2: Place another light at a similar displacement at each idle animation point. so like place a light right in front of where it is when folded up/down, and another above it for when it's against the ground like the picture shows.
3: My favorite cover-up for this problem is to place a projected texture over the object with the lighting issues. If you are trying to use the PTI, just place an office window right next to it. If it's a destroyed map, a good skylight over it would work well if you are not using something like that to telegraph something else in the map. Making it dark in the area, and giving the player a flashlight is another good workaround if it fit's the atmosphere.

Hi Goldenknighttim, ok so:
1. the initial position of the panel is facing like in the image, when I activate it, the lighting seems to be better, but not perfect, I suppose this isn't the problem
2. Didn't try it yet, but sounds promising.
3. env_projectedtexture for a reason that I know but can't fix, doesn't work in my map (which is OK because real sunlight is the most realistic with light_environment because it has good divded shadows while env_projectedtexture the shadows arent divided correctly).

Page 1 of 2Next