Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Inventory?

I am working on a portal 2 mod and I want to add in a inventory system. I am wondering if this can be done at all? I need an inventory for a couple things in my mod to work, so if I can add one in that would be great.

To do it properly, you'd need access to the source code, which is...not easy to get, to say the least. You could implement it with VScript and Hammer logic somehow, but it would be difficult and probably wouldn't work very well.

Out of curiosity, what do you need an inventory for in a Portal mod?

VBSP failed: Could not open instance file instances/luke18033/signature.vmf
Luke18033 wrote:
To do it properly, you'd need access to the source code, which is...not easy to get, to say the least. You could implement it with VScript and Hammer logic somehow, but it would be difficult and probably wouldn't work very well.

Out of curiosity, what do you need an inventory for in a Portal mod?

I wanted to add a health system and if you take enough damage from turrets or anything else that doesn't kill you instantly, you can pull up the inventory to use a healing item. I want to know how I would be able to obtain the source code? I've heard people say that they use it for this kind of stuff before so it's possible to get the source code right?

It's possible to get the source code, but as I said, it's not easy. I myself don't have source code access, nor do I know exactly how the process of getting it works, but I do know it involves contacting Valve directly and signing a non-disclosure agreement, preventing you from (legally) redistributing or even talking about the code elsewhere. You'll have to talk to someone else about that. I know there are some people on the Discord server who have got access, maybe ask there.

VBSP failed: Could not open instance file instances/luke18033/signature.vmf
Luke18033 wrote:
It's possible to get the source code, but as I said, it's not easy. I myself don't have source code access, nor do I know exactly how the process of getting it works, but I do know it involves contacting Valve directly and signing a non-disclosure agreement, preventing you from (legally) redistributing or even talking about the code elsewhere. You'll have to talk to someone else about that. I know there are some people on the Discord server who have got access, maybe ask there.

Ok, I'll try asking on the discord server and see if I get an answer.