Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hammer not opening Portal 2 after compile

The title says it, I made a video explaining my problem a litle more : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60jhPnE ... e=youtu.be

I hope someone knows what is happening because its driving me crazy :notwant:

Thank you

Go for a check on the game cache files, start on the authoring tools it will check both the authoring tools and P2 =)

Level designer, 3D modeler, texture artist ,environment artist.

I appreciate the reply. I have tried this with no avail. I think if I figure out hot to delete my cloud save of the game I could reinstall cleanly. I moved portal 2 from my E drive and I think hammer still thinks that the game is there.

l1zardr0ckets wrote:
I appreciate the reply. I have tried this with no avail. I think if I figure out hot to delete my cloud save of the game I could reinstall cleanly. I moved portal 2 from my E drive and I think hammer still thinks that the game is there.

Well, i would try to point directly the executable under hammer proprieties, just open hammer go to

Code: Select all
TOOLS>Options>BuildPrograms.

switch from

Code: Select all
$SteamUserDirPortal 2portal2.exe

to the complete path =)

Level designer, 3D modeler, texture artist ,environment artist.

well shoot I guess you knew how to fix it; I just finished moving portal 2 to my E drive again and got things working okay now. thank you so much though!

Usually moving games after installation is bad, and if you can't change the path in registry or withing the game, its best to just move the folder and make a 'Folder Symbolic link'. Its similar link that windows uses within the AppData, User etc folders. Basically ou can move a folder, and then make a symbolic link in the original folder with the same name as the moved folder, and point it to the new location, so Windows will think that the folder is still there, and if you enter it you sill see the files, but in reality they are read from another location or partition or drive.
For example if you have an SSD as C: but steam is installed on D or E mechanical HDD but you want portal to run from SSD, then you can just move the portal folder to c and link it from the steam installation into the inside of the moved directory...
I guess thats why you moved Portal 2 or maybe because there was not enough room on the original drive.
To make symbolic links I use a tiny free program (its safe):
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... ator.shtml

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-
DaMaGepy wrote:
Usually moving games after installation is bad, and if you can't change the path in registry or withing the game, its best to just move the folder and make a 'Folder Symbolic link'. Its similar link that windows uses within the AppData, User etc folders. Basically ou can move a folder, and then make a symbolic link in the original folder with the same name as the moved folder, and point it to the new location, so Windows will think that the folder is still there, and if you enter it you sill see the files, but in reality they are read from another location or partition or drive.
For example if you have an SSD as C: but steam is installed on D or E mechanical HDD but you want portal to run from SSD, then you can just move the portal folder to c and link it from the steam installation into the inside of the moved directory...
I guess thats why you moved Portal 2 or maybe because there was not enough room on the original drive.
To make symbolic links I use a tiny free program (its safe):
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... ator.shtml

wow great info DaMaGerpy, thank you for that! you are totally right about why I had moved it