Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Enable Portals on a Moving Portalable Surface?

Hello,

Is it possible to allow a portal to remain active on a portalable surface, while that surface is moving / rotating? If not, are there any good alternatives to simulate this behavior?

I am envisioning a puzzle involving a portalable angle panel which would follow a circular track along the wall.

Any suggestions / ideas would be much appreciated! If it is not possible / worth it, that would be good to know too =)

Thanks in advance,
Denominator

There's a console variable that allows portals to move around. They can be pretty buggy, though. sv_cheats must be on for the variable to be changed. What you want to do is use a logic_auto to, OnMapSpawn, fire the command "sv_cheats 1;sv_allow_mobile_portals 1;sv_cheats 0" to a point_servercommand to enable the behaviour, then turn it off once done. It might persist across loads, so turn it off as soon as you can.

My stuff:
[spoiler]- BEE2 Addons | (BEE2)
- Hammer Addons
Maps:
- Crushed Gel
- Gel is Not Always Helpful[/spoiler]

The only downside to that is it might disable achievements for players. Most people have the ones they need, but it still might affect a handful of people. However, it's probably your best bet. There's also a command that disables the display time of the "Server cvar 'sv_cheats' changed to 0/1", though I forget what it is.

Interesting fact: the game is programmed to allow moving portals without cheats on if the map name is "sp_a2_bts5".

ImageImage
srs bsnss wrote:
The only downside to that is it might disable achievements for players. Most people have the ones they need, but it still might affect a handful of people. However, it's probably your best bet. There's also a command that disables the display time of the "Server cvar 'sv_cheats' changed to 0/1", though I forget what it is.

hud_saytexttime 0

To reset, use 12 instead of 0

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

@TeamSpen210 Thank you so much! It is so cool that they built in that option, even if it is buggy!

@srs bsnss / @CamBen Thanks for the helpful info! I should probably add a warning in the map description, that the tester should exit the game if the map crashes =)

CamBen wrote:
srs bsnss wrote:

hud_saytexttime 0

To reset, use 12 instead of 0

Isn't it just hud_saytime?

Falsi sumus crusto!

Nope, i was hung up in a tree because of that for a while, wondering why my command wasn't working. Checked the console, it was hud_saytexttime.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

In order to enable it without cheats enabled the point_servercommand has to be named enable_mobile_portals_command.

You could probably steal the scripted scene in Portal 2, can't you?