Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Laser Construction

This is my entry for the #mappingcontest2017 and took a while for me to make. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results! Good luck to everyone!

Click here to download Laser Construction

Good mapping skills and a nice use of the blue wall frames, gives the map a unique, yet fitting look.

My first thought was "no way in hell this is solvable", until I reached the floor right in front of the exit. From there it was a walk in the park :)

This puzzle is decent, but the ending feels like a mean trick. The first time I played this map, I got the laser through the relay and into the receptacle that raises the stairs, which I assumed had to be the solution to solve the puzzle. However, I was also in the room with the cube dropper, and I had no way out. (Also, the map's congratulation dialogue played, further indicating that this is what I had to do.) It felt like at that point I needed to restart the whole sequence of events to look for some alternate method of setting up this situation. At this point I decided to try the puzzle again another day.

I played it again today and discovered that

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
. It almost feels as though the puzzle is rigged to mislead you in a lot of ways:
Spoiler
Spoiler
, and activating both the exit door and the stairs at the same time will play the congratulatory dialogue.

The detailing is serviceable. The lighting is kinda dull, especially in this room which appears to be lit by an invisible light source in the center of the room. The projected texture could also stand to be a lot brighter - at the moment I can hardly see it. The vista through the ceiling is going to be most often seen from this angle, but a lot of the detailing is pushed to the side instead of being where most people will see it. Lastly, the wall destruction is very sporadic. Wall panels tend to fall off in clumps, creating patches of missing wall. The wall destruction in this map is somewhat grouped together, but it's separated enough that it doesn't quite look right, and it comes off more like a checkerboard pattern.

Very nice map, 5/5. I guess all 2017 Mapping Competition entries are decent, can't rate it lower than 5 especially after getting through a lousy 377-maps pack.