Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Empty Floor

Cave Johnson here, and let me tell you, you'll drop dead in this new test. Well, you won't. Atleast shouldn't.... Mainly because the only dangerous thing in this chamber is the lift, and according to the latest government protocols and my recently fired assistant, it 'Should not be able to hurt any subjects'. However, your cube still can die! With the new Fizzler 1.1! Invest now and join our non-failing empire!

Oh dear god please invest in us...

Difficulty: Easy
It is a simple change to an old concept. You may find it the same as old, but its different. Just by a bit.

Made in hammer.
#mappingcontest2017
(Its a bit late. Just know realized I had to sign in again to access this page. Didn't realize that yesterday when I uploaded it to the workshop. Still is a day late considering when it was uploaded to the workshop)

Click here to download Empty Floor

The puzzle is okay, but the room doesn't feel built for it. The map's namesake is one of its biggest problems, in that the main 6x9 room is way bigger than it needs to be. Players generally experiment with the different parts of a puzzle before arriving at a solution, so placing the test elements further away means the player spends a lot of time walking, which makes the act of solving the puzzle pretty dull (even if the puzzle is alright). The simple shape also means the chamber isn't very interesting to look at.

The way the lift works is awkward and could be simplified. Currently the puzzle has the player ride the lift, stand on a platform, and then place a portal to open the door (which deactivates the lift). This is all in service of making the player stand in a certain spot before placing their portal. However, you could achieve the same effect by having the lift only raise when the button is pressed (like the lift in Pull the Rug), which would both simplify how the lift works (making it easier for the player to understand how it works) and also let you have the lift go directly to the exit door.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: The grate around the button to hold the cube looks strange and you could get the same effect by dropping the button into the ground. I believe there's a coop map towards the end of Art Therapy (the one with the blue gel box that you have to wash) that does this.

EDIT 2: I should also mention that the map is missing some conventions. The entry elevator has no door and there is no lightboard. I might be mis-remembering but I seem to remember the exit door doesn't shut behind you at the end.