Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wall Button and Box Racing

Page 1 of 2Next

A testing sphere containing two puzzles, one has a button on the wall and the other has a box gliding while you race the clock to get to the end.

Set in the 70's, in underground Aperture.

UPDATE:
Remade the box slide - removed the blue gel, made slide steeper and blocked the player from jumping into it.

File Name: sp_wallbutton_boxracing.7z
File Size: 2.25 MiB
Click here to download Wall Button and Box Racing

First of all: Great map! :)

But I solved the last puzzle in another way (because I didn't see the box-gliding-way).

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

I don't think this is how it was ment to be ;)
Until I read your text in this Thread I didnt realize there was another way :)

I liked the map, and thought you did an excellent rendition of the underground Aperture style.

I thought it was interesting style and a creative puzzle to require

Spoiler

This could easily be considered tedious, though, if someone didn't know it was intentional and thought that

Spoiler

Portal 2 Engineer - A map designed to make you think.

Be-au-ti-ful: I love Old Aperture for a reason, it's the only style that can leave me awestruck, as some Bioshock vistas. And few do master it. Everything ran very smoothly, actually feeling like I was making way through the ruins instead of just puzzles in style.

BTW that one about

Spoiler
was genious - but you can effectively get stuck if you jump on the button yourself. It would make more sense if that button successively dumped the cube in the water too.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music
Ruien wrote:
This could easily be considered tedious, though, if someone didn't know it was intentional and thought that
Spoiler

I had the same thought. And you should probably

Spoiler

But other than that, great map! And very well-constructed. I had a lot of fun.

Thanks for the input everyone, I see there's still plenty of things to be done.

About the first part, I actually had moved the button quite a bit so it'll be right where you fell...
Did you jump right before going in the portal? If not, I'll have to look into it because I didn't have this problem.

About the second part, I didn't even think of jumping in there myself and carrying the box :notwant:
I'll make it higher and maybe remove the blue gel so that the box would HAVE to hit the button and then slide into the water (which it now would, the ramp being higher and having a sharper angle).

About the timer stopping but the bridge still being down it's because I didn't know how to set a floor button to a timer so there's two hidden pushable buttons who act as timers... If anyone knows how to assign regular floor buttons to a ticking timer please tell me, thanks.

TL:DR - I'll fix it, thank you so much for playing and being helpful. ps 8

Wonderful job. It felt like real valve quality. It felt like it could've been a part of the game.
However, there is not much skill involved, it is mostly all about the puzzle solving (which wasn't too challenging). Not so replayable. Nonetheless, it was fun, and usually I don't find myself enjoying the 70's maps as much as the modern maps.

The walkway after the wall button chamber is slightly misaligned. Is it intentional? I attached a screenshot below.

Screenshot

Spoiler

bjs0 wrote:
The walkway after the wall button chamber is slightly misaligned. Is it intentional? I attached a screenshot below.

Screenshot

Spoiler

Totally missed that, not sure why but some of the walkway models were a few units higher than the rest. Thanks for pointing it out.

I uploaded the new version, now you can't jump on the slide yourself and it guides the box to the button better (also, no blue gel).

Thank you all for the replies, it helped a lot.

That bit with the

Spoiler
I see you've changed it somehow in the time between me downloading the map and posting this.

Page 1 of 2Next