Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rainbow's Competition Entry

Page 1 of 2Next

Imaginative name I know...
I was pushed for time and kinda rushed the very last part, but apart from that it's all done.

File Name: rainbow_comp_entry.zip
File Size: 8.83 MiB
Click here to download Rainbow's Competition Entry

nice maps, but found 2 bugs!?

the first im not shure if its a bug or intendet:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

and the second one in the end of the map

Spoiler

narf, he did say he was rushed for the last part.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

It could have been the beginning of a wonderful friendship. At face value, the map's really good: well built, organized, even took care of the obligatory vista and intro. But corners were cut for the time schedule, and the rest falls short of that.

So the setting is really just that one room, the second better forgotten, and you're going to breeze through it in tops 20 moves. But unless it gets discontinued, the chance for future goodness is all there.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

I needed to make the

Spoiler
and the
Spoiler
, and, worse of all,
Spoiler

I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)

The last room is unfinished:
- The cubes can go through the movable white wall in the third room (screenshot was taken while the cube was falling). Weirdly, it does that only if there is an opened portal on the white wall.
- The actuators creating the platform are floating
- The door when closing/opening shows the open space for a short time before showing the elevator room.

Making standard nonportalable surfaces portalable in order to increase difficulty in the puzzle solution is not the way to go. Disappointed. Nice map but needs work.

quatrus wrote:
Making standard nonportalable surfaces portalable in order to increase difficulty in the puzzle solution is not the way to go. Disappointed. Nice map but needs work.

Agree. I spent 10 mins trying to get the laser through the wall and all kinds of crap until I finally gave up and checked this thread. Not cool. This map shouldn't have been on the contest list tbh. That said, it was otherwise a good map. Shame the end had to ruin it for me.

You can also bring the cube from the first room in the 2nd room. The fizzler between the 2 is not destroying the cube.

Few things:
Don't mess with what kind of surfaces are portalable unless you make it VERY OBVIOUS AND UNIVERSAL (A map with only green portalable surfaces would be ok, because it still is recognizable)
Shouldn't the faith plate take you to the exit?
If you are going to use the lightbridge climbing system, introduce a transition puzzle to show how it is done. This technique isn't in the main game, and many people might not have tried things like it.

Page 1 of 2Next