Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal Gun Pedestal Instance

Page 1 of 2Next

This is a instance I made of the Pedestal which the Portal gun sits on.

Please note that this is not just a couple of props but a fully working dynamic prop with animations for putting the gun down and back up from inside the ground.

I put a couple of values in so that you can edit it to your liking (for example make the portal gun up at spawn or disable the prop going down after you pick the gun up).

- This includes an I/O proxy to help you pick the right outputs
- This can be set to look broken (Sparks and has no Portal Gun)
- This can be lifted from or closed into the ground using an output
- This can be changed to look like a blue or orange coop portal gun
- This can spawn a one portal (or no portal), portal_gun

Replace Values:

1. $DisableClose Boolean -> Set this to disable the gun going down after you pick up the gun
  2. $DisableClose Boolean -> Set this to disable the gun going down after you pick up the gun
  3. $StartingTeam Integer -> Used for telling which team the gun starts for (0 is for SinglePlayer, 2 is for Blue, 3 is for Orange)
  4. $StartUp Boolean -> Set this if you want the Pedestal to spawn up at start of map
  5. $HandleSpeed Float -> Sets how fast (or slow) the handles of the pedestal will open or close
  6. $DoesntSpark Boolean -> Set this if the pedestal doesn't spark
  7. $HasPortalGun Boolean -> Set this if there is a Portal Gun on the pedestal
  8. $Skin Integer -> Changes what color the portal gun is (0 is Normal, 1 is Blue, 2 is Orange)
  9. $CanFirePortal1 Boolean -> Set this if the portalgun can fire Blue Portals
  10. $CanFirePortal2 Boolean -> Set this if the portalgun can fire Orange Portals

Since I found out that not every mapper knows names of simple value types I put an explanation:

1. 'Boolean' indicates a value that can only have a 1 or 0 option. 'Set this' indicates putting a '1' as the value.
  2. Integer indicates a value that can have a number as its' option.
  3. Float indicates a value that can have a decimal place. e.g. '0.5'

Please read above what values to set before complaining that there is no portal gun spawning!!!

Feel free to use in your map!

File Name: Portalgun_pedestal.7z
File Size: 4.45 KiB
Click here to download Portal Gun Pedestal Instance

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

the problem with this is you did not give enough information, i dont understand how to make it spawn at start up, do i type boolean into it? because that makes no sense at all but from what i can see in hammer you did a good job and if valve needed to make a DLC storyline then they would probaly use this once again good job

Booze... the cause and solution to all of life's problems.....

So is this an instance or a prefab? Change the thread title and/or OP to reflect it, because right now they're contradictory.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Technically, it's a Prefab even if it IS an Instance. Prefab is, quoting http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Prefab, short for Premade Fabrication. That means even Instances are Prefabs.

Is there a way for the pedestal to give a blue-portal-only device? (and/or orange-portal-only?) if so, how? also, thank you!!!

It would be helpful too to specify what values do what, 0, 1, etc, for each parameter. thanks again! Eric

erictfitzgerald wrote:
Is there a way for the pedestal to give a blue-portal-only device? (and/or orange-portal-only?) if so, how? also, thank you!!!

It would be helpful too to specify what values do what, 0, 1, etc, for each parameter. thanks again! Eric

I didn't think of actually putting this in. I'll edit and re-upload soon. Will also add an option to change what colour it is (either blue or orange portal gun).

thx for giving more info, now i can revive my old map(more of a hallway with no point) and get this thing working properly, as before I had to get to the stand fast enough before the map loaded a few things up and scripts kicked in. excellent work my friend!

Booze... the cause and solution to all of life's problems.....

Could you make the instance send output when the gun is picked up by the player

Hope is a good thing
Maps made : [SP] PORTAL 2 : After Math
Steam ID : chimera201

You are free to edit / collapse the instance and add your own inputs in. Open up the weapon_portalgun and put an output 'OnPlayerPickup'.

I don't know how to send an output from an instance

Hope is a good thing
Maps made : [SP] PORTAL 2 : After Math
Steam ID : chimera201
Page 1 of 2Next