Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Panel Activated by looking, deactivated by looking away.

This is a panel that is activated by the player looking at it.

For anyone interested, I thought that this would make a good puzzle element.

Here is a demonstration video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5tJV7mlDwQ

Please note that this is a prefab, not an instance or a file you just copy and paste. If you wish you could make this into an instance but I kept it as a prefab for the movability of the trigger. Prefabs go inside your Portal 2/bin/Prefabs folder.

Explanation on how it works (if you can't figure out for yourself):
If the player is looking at the panel (onTrigger) it will trigger the open relay. To make sure that the animations are played in order it will disable the open relay and enable the close relay. The opposite for the other relay.
Since the trigger_look cannot use the OnTimeout output when it has Triggered I used a timer to disable and re-enable the trigger so then the player can fire the outputs again.

If you are to edit this to make the platforms close slower etc. Make sure you make the timer fire longer than the timeout value in the trigger_look. Otherwise the panels will never close.

If you need help with anything in the prefab, please don't hesitate to post a reply in the topic.

File Name: lookingplatform.zip
File Size: 1.63 KiB
Click here to download Panel Activated by looking, deactivated by looking away.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Are you giving us permission to use it? I might use it in a co-op map.

Sure, that's why I released it in Community Releases.

Just checking, I thought you might have been just rubbing it in our faces that you'd made something so cool.

The Irate Pirate wrote:
Just checking, I thought you might have been just rubbing it in our faces that you'd made something so cool.

Why would I do that? xD

You wouldn't! I'm just paranoid.

Does this work if you look down at the panel from above? As in, I want one player to walk along a line of panels, but he can't active them himself. The other player has to do it for him.

The Irate Pirate wrote:
You wouldn't! I'm just paranoid.

Does this work if you look down at the panel from above? As in, I want one player to walk along a line of panels, but he can't active them himself. The other player has to do it for him.

Well for the first one, you only need to be looking in the panel's general direction in order for it to activate. You can change this by putting the lookfieldofview (cant remember what value was called lol) higher or lower (I would suggest keeping it in the .9 range).

The second is easy. The trigger_look should be placed where you want your player to stand when activating the panels. They will only activate if a player is inside the trigger_look. So you could have some1 activate them while some1 else walks over them etc.

I also noticed that if you leave the trigger before the animation has finished playing it will stay open. So you will need to create some kind of trigger so that when you endtouch it, it will close all the platforms.

Thanks. Looking forward to more of your maps by the way. Are you doing any 1950's ones?

The Irate Pirate wrote:
Thanks. Looking forward to more of your maps by the way. Are you doing any 1950's ones?

I might get around to making some. :D But I seriously prefer making clean-style ones.

chickenmobile wrote:
The Irate Pirate wrote:

I might get around to making some. :D But I seriously prefer making clean-style ones.

OCD?

Turrets, not tourettes. Only people with tourettes say that.

My Work:
FLAMING LEMONS
FUNRUN - COMING SOON