Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Elevator Videos Fixed - Brainstones Hardcoded Instances

Page 1 of 3Next

EDIT(IMPORTANT:)
I have just discovered (thanks to sleter) that the elevator videos behave differently AGAIN when your map is uploaded to the workshop. (Damn VALVE)
The Problem is now fixed. I have also merged the arrival logic and the arrival base as I have merged the departure logic and the departure base; that was unfortunately a must because of the nature of this very annoying problem. Currently you can have entry_elevator_UP and exit_elevator_UP in your map.
Entry_elevator_DOWN and exit-elevator_DOWN will be added shortly.
You MUST redownload this instance, because your elevator video screens will always play the default video as soon as they are uploaded to the workshop. (Unless you delete the entity "video_script" inside your logic elevator instance. In my custom logic elevators, this is already the case, so you will probably have this problem only in your arrival elevator.)
Thank you for your understanding.
----------------------------------

Aren't you tired of VALVE destroying elevator videos with the new DLC?
Aren't you tired of editing scripts for map transitions? And then packing them into bsp, what doesn't work?
Do you really expect every under-age-12 downloader to be smart and not lazy enough to copy several of your scripts in the right location of his PC?
Do you want to display chapter titles?
Do you sometimes wish to have free choice over whether your Portal Gun can shoot the orange Portal and whether it carries PoTAToeS or not?
Do you want a map transition that works, when the player si not in the PeTI?

All this is now accesible to you, thanks to
Brainstone's Hardcoded Instance Collection
---------------------------------------
1. BrainstoneEntryTransition

Delete the standard arrival_departure_transition for this to work.
Possibilities to choose:
$canShootOrangePortal
$PortalgunHasNoPotatoe
$chapterTitle
$chapterSubtitle
$chapterTitleColour (e.g. 255 100 255)
$chapterSubtitleColour
$EnableChapterTitle
$EnableChapterSubtitle

2. BSHC_entry_elevator_UP
$video
100% functioning

3. BSHC_exit_elevator_UP
$video
$newmapname
$disablePTIVoteDiag
(If you are playing in the PeTI AND want to vote, there is no other option than let the player click the "next map" button to create a transition. However, this always transitions the player to $newmapname when he plays not in PETI)

File Name: BrainstoneHCInstances v1-1.zip
File Size: 79.92 KiB
Click here to download Elevator Videos Fixed - Brainstones Hardcoded Instances v1.1

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information

yeeeessss!
Great Brainstone !

I was just trying to solve the problem of video in the elevator.
I tested the map and selected video can be seen in the Hammer test and in map published in the Workshop!
Very interesting also other files that I'll try later.
Brainstorm great job 5/5 :thumbup:

many many Thanks !

Brainstone wrote:
Aren't you tired of VALVE destroying elevator videos with the new DLC?
Aren't you tired of editing scripts for map transitions? And then packing them into bsp, what doesn't work?
Do you really expect every under-age-12 downloader to be smart and not lazy enough to copy several of your scripts in the right location of his PC?
Do you want to display chapter titles?
Do you sometimes wish to have free choice over whether your Portal Gun can shoot the orange Portal and whether it carries PoTAToeS or not?
Do you want a map transition that works, when the player si not in the PeTI?

Aren't you tired of rhetorical questions?!

My Maps:
[spoiler][SP] Alternate[/spoiler]

You have analyzed my perfectly-written brainwashing speech with your grade 12 English knowledge. My superior evil rhetoric powers fail against such uninfluencable inviduals. :angrysquare:

No, honestly: Do you think it would be adequate to change this? I just felt relieved because I spent three hours on this, you know. I read through the Squirrel script without ever have read C++ (some general Informatics of course) and finally understood it after having found out what the order a%b meant. (I also found out that you can't search for special symbols on Google)

The Aperture Alpha

Hello Brainstoneope it's First of all thanks for the files.
As I wrote above in a first moment I have not encountered problems in Hammer and in workshops.
I adjusted the map to the workshop following the tutorial Monatum:
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/puzzle-creator/hammer-tutorial-advanced-workshop-integration-for-portal-2-t6136.html
but the videos are displayed in the elevator at random.

I replaced the file: turbine_elevator arrival_elevator_a4_base.vmf
with: Brainstone_entry_elevator_base_Hardcode.vmf

The selected video to: instances/p2editor/arrival_departure_transition_ents.vmf
Hammer and works in the workshop.
The selected video in the elevator does not work out: instances/p2editor/elevator_exit.vmf

Now I tried it on a 'map other new files

BrainstoneEntryTransition.vmf
BSHC_EntryElevator_UP.vmf
BSHC_ExitElevator_UP.vmf

It all works in Hammer but I tried to load the map in the workshop and gives me error file compatibility.

(sorry for my English ... I hope it's understandable)

It's really not such easy to understand. :-?

But your problem can be solved by inserting the instance: instances/p2editor/global_pti_ents into your map.
Every single map uploaded to the workshop must have this instance. That is also discussed in the video you linked me to. The instance takes for example care of the voting dialogue at the end of the map.

Simply use BSHC_entry_elevator, BSHC_exit_elevator and BrainstonenetryTransition, then insert p2editor/global_pti_ents anywhere in your map and it will for sure work. I have tested it, look here.
Entry and exit video should be always the bluescreen.

The Aperture Alpha

oh yess !
I tried the sample map and it works perfectly. :thumbup:
I try to add the instances that you have indicated on my map.

The problem you had was because the PTI entry elevator consists out of four parts: the arrival base an d the arrival logic, the PTI_global_ents and the global_ents. Now if you switch the PTI entry elevator with my elevator you will have to reinsert the PTI_global_ents.

Also it would be a good idea for you to place a global_ents somewhere in your map, name it , then add a logic_auto anywhere and give it the OnMapSpawn-->NameOfGlobalEnts--> Then click on the little arrow and choose one of the environments. You will probably want to use environment testchamber.

The Aperture Alpha

Hello Brainstone
I inserted instances/p2editor/global_pti_ents and now the map is loaded in the workshop without any problems but I still have a random video in the elevator of departure.

It is not serious, mostly I was interested in the video entry_elevator but in future it would be nice to resolve this thing as you did in the example map.

You could attach the file. VMF? ... would be easier for me to understand where mistaken.

Thank

Here is the .vmf file of the map in order for you to understand how it is done.
To load the map correctly in Hammer, you must create at the location where your editor maps are saved a subfolder named "BrainstoneCustomMaterial" and inside this folder a folder named "Instances". Afterwards you must copy the instances that you have downloaded from here into that folder.
Otherwise the loading of the map will not work, as apparently, that is the structure I have on my PC and that's the structure to which I have created the map.

The Aperture Alpha
Page 1 of 3Next