Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A Beam Too Far

Page 1 of 5Next

The second installment in the Sendificate series.
Like the first part, difficulty is medium/hard; no ninja-skills required.

If you have not played the first map yet, I strongly recommend that you do so before attempting this one.
Link: post69888.html#p69888

Image Image
Image Image

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported

You can download the source files for this map from my website.

Credits::

Beta testing: josepezdj, sicklebrick

Sound effects:
* Waterfall.aif by ignotus -- http://www.freesound.org/people/ignotus/sounds/14779/
* waterfall_cycle.wav by martats -- http://www.freesound.org/people/martats/sounds/127840/

Update v3:
* Improved model for the sendificator (design is the same; just added some detail and improved texture space usage)
* Solved bug where playing this map after the first Sendificate map, caused some models to appear white.

Update v2:
* reworked the area with the cube platform in the last puzzle;
* fixed an unintended solution for the last puzzle;
* added some portal placement guides near the laser in the second chamber;
* removed unneeded physics barrier from exit door (thanks Felix!);
* minor lighting tweaks to the power-off state of the last chamber.

Click here to download A Beam Too Far

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

First 5/5 from me! :notworthy:

I love it. :D

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Thanks for creating :thumbup:

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Woo! New Sendificator map!

Unfortunately P2 is acting up again so I haven't even played the beta version. :( Oh well, maybe today I'll get it working.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Well, that was amazing.
I loved the entire part of navigating the powerless chambers and finding the switch. When I entered the waterfall area my jaw dropped. Another amazing piece of work from you. Good job!

My Hammer Maps
[Released] Power Interference
[Released] Rust and Dust (Spotlight Map!)
[Released] Multiportal

Brilliant work! Absolutely stunning visuals and atmosphere! 5/5

I found out that the white texture in those holes is portable. I was expecting an easter egg when I entered the portal but I was stuck :O

Spoiler

My Maps-1-2-3-4-5-

My PTI Tests-1-2-3-

I've only had time for a brief play so far but this thing looks incredible! A work of art! 5/5!

My maps: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8].

This. Map. Was. Awesome.

HMW, you never cease to amaze.
I have to say that the puzzles were incredibly thought out and there wasn't a dull moment.

A hint for those who get a little stuck on the last puzzle:

Spoiler

Visuals = awesome. Waterfall = awesome. BTS puzzle = awesome. Hints to solve BTS puzzle = awesome. Posters and custom textures in BTS = awesome. Progressive learning = awesome. That platform with the fizzlers in the last chamber = meh.

5/5 (you win)

This map took me 53 minutes and 43 seconds to solve (relatively late at night).

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

This is one of the very few maps on this site that I think are worthy of the perfect 5.00, as in five point zero zero...

I think you should get the privilege of directly uploading your maps to the community spotlight section :lol:

Already commented on the workshop file for the two minor things I saw.

HMW, if I was a girl, I would be your Portal 2 mapper groupie, the kind that would do your dishes for you.

Thanks for all those nice comments! This map was a lot of work, so I'm very happy reading this!

Of course it wouldn't feel right if there weren't some bugs and small things to tweak. :) I'll get cracking on that soon.

FelixGriffin wrote:
Unfortunately P2 is acting up again so I haven't even played the beta version. :( Oh well, maybe today I'll get it working.

Man, that sucks! I hope you get it fixed soon.

marKiu wrote:
I found out that the white texture in those holes is portable. I was expecting an easter egg when I entered the portal but I was stuck :O

Thanks for alerting me to that! That is indeed just a plain white texture that is portal-enabled, aparently. A fact that I stupidly didn't think to try out before using it.
(Can't use a real skybox texture because the lighting is different.)

marKiu wrote:
Spoiler

It should only fizzle when it falls into the water. Which should happen always, if you try to sneak a cube in there the wrong way. Also remember that the cube's destination is a small distance back from the endpoint of the beam. If you try to beam a cube just past a fizzler, it may end up just barely touching it.

The primary reason for the second button is, that I originally had another way in mind for getting the first cube across on the platform. This involved parking the lens cube on the light bridge, so the player needed another button "at hand" on that side of the room.
(The other, faraway button is obviously there as a hint for the final step.)

ChickenMobile wrote:
That platform with the fizzlers in the last chamber = meh.

Well, I tried the other option of surrounding it with glass. That just looked ugly and cramped, so I went with fizzlers. (They are there to prevent discourage cube tossing.)
I'm still thinking of a better design for those "point emitters" though.

Mr Waterhandle wrote:
Already commented on the workshop file for the two minor things I saw.

HMW, if I was a girl, I would be your Portal 2 mapper groupie, the kind that would do your dishes for you.

Thanks! I replied to your comments in the workshop.
And, although I don't own a dishwasher, I'm sorta happy that people don't know where I live. :D

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
Page 1 of 5Next