Ben and August’s Extended Editor (BEEMOD) & BEE2

Ben and August’s Extended Editor (BEEMOD) & BEE2

Postby shad0w440 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:52 pm

The BEE is an extension to the Portal Testing Initiative created by Valve Software Image

Original BEEMOD Preview video
The BEE adds new items to the Palette, these items include:
Code: Select all
-Orange AutoPortal
-High Energy Pellets (HEPs)
-Crushers
-Pneumatic Diversity Vents
-Triggers Blocks:
-Once
-Multiple
-Autosave
-Logic Gates:
-And
-Or
-Not
-Panel Drawbridge
-Doors
-Warm Lights


Ben and Carl’s Extended Editor 2 (BEE2) has now also been released, use this thread for that aswell
grab a copy of that here
Last edited by BenVlodgi on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Update video
ImageImage
User avatar
shad0w440
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Jun 6, 2011
Location: Glen Cove, NY

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby BenVlodgi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I am Benjamin Thomas Blodgett and I approve this message
ImageImageImage

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
User avatar
BenVlodgi
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Jul 1, 2011
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby portal2tenacious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 pm

This is so amazing. I was wondering when something like this would be made. What's the release date?
I dont know what a signachere is but i herd alot.
User avatar
portal2tenacious
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin
 
Posts: 389
Joined: May 7, 2012
Location: Behind you.

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby RubyCarbuncIe » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:00 pm

You say there is auto portal placement? Does this mean that with triggers or something that you can force the player to only get one portal? I would love to make an attempt at an Orange Portal only map (I know I'll probably have to edit it in Hammer quite a bit, but I'm fine with that) in the PeTI editor involving crushers. They are a huge pain to set multiples up of and it's really just a lack of patience on my part, same goes for the HEP Launchers/Catchers. Also I'm glad you added multi-colored light panels. That should have been done in the beginning. I'm really looking forward to testing all this stuff out! :)
"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:
|
Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire


User avatar
RubyCarbuncIe
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Sep 15, 2010
Location: A place never known and less traveled by...

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby FelixGriffin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Looks awesome! But you could probably save some space on the palette by combining the Combine Ball Launcher with the catcher, and the different light panels. I'm not sure how you managed to fit all those in as it is!
Falsi sumus crusto!
User avatar
FelixGriffin
Olympian and/or War Hero
 
Posts: 2,444
Joined: Jun 13, 2011

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby BenVlodgi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm

FelixGriffin wrote:
Looks awesome! But you could probably save some space on the palette by combining the Combine Ball Launcher with the catcher, and the different light panels. I'm not sure how you managed to fit all those in as it is!

unfortunately you cant combine items without having access to the source code
and until valve adds a scroll bar as I've requested.. or tabs... we will be limited to my 10 extra items.... there are some ideas I'm throwing around to get more custom items... but right now I still have to make them all and august will have to make the models
RubyCarbuncIe wrote:
You say there is auto portal placement? Does this mean that with triggers or something that you can force the player to only get one portal? I would love to make an attempt at an Orange Portal only map (I know I'll probably have to edit it in Hammer quite a bit, but I'm fine with that) in the PeTI editor involving crushers. They are a huge pain to set multiples up of and it's really just a lack of patience on my part, same goes for the HEP Launchers/Catchers. Also I'm glad you added multi-colored light panels. That should have been done in the beginning. I'm really looking forward to testing all this stuff out! :)

yes, the idea is to have these puzzle to require absolutely no hammer modifications.. however to get the exact effect you want.... you might have to

portal2tenacious wrote:
This is so amazing. I was wondering when something like this would be made. What's the release date?
thanks... I've been working on it since way back in beta
I have no release date set
... within the month I hope
ImageImageImage

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
User avatar
BenVlodgi
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Jul 1, 2011
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby Lpfreaky90 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 pm

can't wait to see horribly placed autosaves, ready to be killed.

about the energy pallets, they've been removed for a reason, if you want to lose your eye on it, and instantly die, go play portal 1 ;)

As for the crushers: why not 128x128? that'd be much cooler ;)
User avatar
Lpfreaky90
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 2,944
Joined: May 3, 2011
Location: In a pet zoo nearby.

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby BenVlodgi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Lpfreaky90 wrote:
can't wait to see horribly placed autosaves, ready to be killed.

about the energy pallets, they've been removed for a reason, if you want to lose your eye on it, and instantly die, go play portal 1 ;)

As for the crushers: why not 128x128? that'd be much cooler ;)

well as for autosaves.. that is up to the puzzle designer... however they could be a great asset considering in all raw puzzlemaker maps you have to start at the very beginning when dying :thumbup:

As for the HEPs(High energy pelets)I realize that they were removed for good reason, however people were begging for them :lol: so I aim to please... plus they are one of the few items that I could add which would actually provide more PUZZLE possibilities. as the energy ball opens up a new world for puzzle solving... and can be used in combination with the pnuematic diversity vent... which was also removed for good reason

I didn't make the crusher model, I just recycled the one already in p2... and sadly it is 64 units too wide and tall.... 128x128 would have been much better ;)
ImageImageImage

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
User avatar
BenVlodgi
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Jul 1, 2011
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby FelixGriffin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Actually, you can combine, to a certain extent. If you inherit from ItemCubeButton you can have six types (normal, cube, ball on black and white), from ItemPaint four, or from ItemCube five. The limitation is that the only thing which can change is the VMF, not the collision area or occupied voxels or anything.
Falsi sumus crusto!
User avatar
FelixGriffin
Olympian and/or War Hero
 
Posts: 2,444
Joined: Jun 13, 2011

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby portal2tenacious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Can you find a way to put info_placement_helpers in? I know some maps need that.
I dont know what a signachere is but i herd alot.
User avatar
portal2tenacious
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin
 
Posts: 389
Joined: May 7, 2012
Location: Behind you.

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby BenVlodgi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:52 pm

FelixGriffin wrote:
Actually, you can combine, to a certain extent. If you inherit from ItemCubeButton you can have six types (normal, cube, ball on black and white), from ItemPaint four, or from ItemCube five. The limitation is that the only thing which can change is the VMF, not the collision area or occupied voxels or anything.

true story, and why aren't you on steam right now?
I cant combine the emitter and catcher, because of the differences they have with in and outputs
however I may be able to consolidate the triggers


portal2tenacious wrote:
Can you find a way to put info_placement_helpers in? I know some maps need that.

in a word.. yes
that may be the easiest thing to add.. but then you have to ask yourself... why do maps really need these?
and how would you want to be able to choose where it goes, and what rotation it gets?
ImageImageImage

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps
User avatar
BenVlodgi
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Jul 1, 2011
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby HMW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:51 am

I already have icons and models for the autosave trigger and placement helper in my editor add-on. Feel free to use those if you want.

(I didn't get around to make a separate thread for that add-on yet, since it started out as just an experiment.)

FelixGriffin wrote:
Actually, you can combine, to a certain extent. If you inherit from ItemCubeButton you can have six types (normal, cube, ball on black and white), from ItemPaint four, or from ItemCube five. The limitation is that the only thing which can change is the VMF, not the collision area or occupied voxels or anything.

You can change the occupied area of an element by changing the parameters in editoritems.txt. I'va written some basic documentation for it, which may be useful. (The "InstanceNames" part is outdated.)
Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
User avatar
HMW
Senior Stalemate Associate
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Feb 15, 2009
Location: Netherlands

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby FelixGriffin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am

Oh, no, sorry, what I was trying to say was that each type of floor button can't have its own collision area. By the way, what's the new information about the instances section?
Falsi sumus crusto!
User avatar
FelixGriffin
Olympian and/or War Hero
 
Posts: 2,444
Joined: Jun 13, 2011

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby CamBen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 pm

can you also make black and white 64x64 cubes that can be stacked? that would be really useful.
and maybe a rocket turret?
Last edited by CamBen on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CamBen24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
User avatar
CamBen
Fucking Loves Cake
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: The Enrichment Center

Re: Bens Extended Editor mod (BEEMOD)

Postby FelixGriffin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Unfortunately, all puzzle creator things have to touch a normal tile for it to compile properly.
Falsi sumus crusto!
User avatar
FelixGriffin
Olympian and/or War Hero
 
Posts: 2,444
Joined: Jun 13, 2011

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 
Next

Return to Puzzle Creator and Workshop



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests