[SP] Mho' Power

[SP] Mho' Power

Postby wrathofmobius » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Connect the dots and feel the power. This test is made possible by Aperture's newest innovation, the Super-Conductive Hyper-Proximal Heavy-Duty Ultra-Cube.
------------------------------------------------------------
This is a three-part map revolving around redirecting indicator strip signals with cubes. This was originally a 4-part map but it became too large to compile, much less upload. If the concept is well-received, I may release more parts.
Due to the large size of the map, it may not run well on older computers. Sorry :/
Special thanks to Vordwann, Nacimota, Mevious, ChickenMobile, zivi7, BEARD, msleeper, and all the other people on IRC the past few days for helping me chase down an elusive vbsp bug; Vordwann again for a no-leak light instance and moral support; Brainstone for the elevator instance and the TWP poster found in the office connecting area; simharry3, maark59, and blackdiamond377 for playtesting; msleeper again for hosting the contest; and all the other people on the TWP forums.
Visit http://wrathofmobius.com/ for more.
Walkthrough may be posted soon.
#supercontest2012 wrathofmobius

Click here to download [SP] Mho' Power
Last edited by wrathofmobius on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
wrathofmobius
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Mho' Power

Postby sicklebrick » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 am

Heh, reading the description I thought playing with the indicator lights would be a bit tedious, but you've done a really nice job of it, and it works well :) It took a wee while to get used to, but when the map opened up it got really cool. Nice ending btw, I raged for a minute. Thanks!
sicklebrick
Community Contributor

The First Ever Kiwi Review

Postby Mr. P. Kiwi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 am

This is a really good idea, and the puzzles were well built. However - the lighting seemed a bit weird which made the bts puzzle harder than it should be. (I aimlessly wondered the two 'chambers' for 5 minutes until I saw the portable surface near the door...) And this happened when I was stuck in the observation room desperately trying to find a portable surface in the test chamber.
One more thing, I also playeded your map with mat_wireframe on and my computer was rendering the whole map, even parts behind sealed doors. You might want to give it an optimization pass if you want more people to enjoy this map.
Oh and last, but not least, in the third chamber I had accidentally missed the chance to capture the cube with the funnel, and I had to wait for the timer to go off to try again. I suggest you either make the cube a separate button, or make it auto spwan.

Nice work!
ImageImageImage
Instance: Co-Op Tube Ride
Mr. P. Kiwi
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Djinndrache » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 am

This is my playthrough of this map. In order to not influence the opinion of anyone, I won't say what I think about this map yet. Have fun watching the video and get your own opinion about the map for now :)

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVFc-YM04E)
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby El Farmerino » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 am

Nice puzzles, but I agree with Kiwi about both the lighting and the long timer in the end room - should be resettable.

One other thing - you can save yourself at the end by shooting the lightbridge at the wall in front of you, but then it just ends anyway. It would be cool to have some kind of little reward for those that manage it...
---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
---------------------------
El Farmerino
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin

Postby RogerL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:32 am

Pretty cool map. I have only one thing to add to the comments above: the grates need to be sealed for cubes as well as players. I lost a cube near the exit door and had to start that section over again. Also, you don't need the lightbridge to hold the cube to bridge the gap; just place it anywhere near the edge.
RogerL
Immediate Past President of the Being Alive Club

Postby wrathofmobius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Thank you all for the feedback! Djinndrache's video broke my map very badly, so I'll try to respond to some of the strangeness:
00:51: That cube should have respawned. It does at least for me.
06:15: The weird white area should have been a custom poster. I did pack the .vmt and .vtf into the bsp using pakrat - was there anything else I had to do?
07:01: You were supposed to crouch through the window. Thus, you missed a trigger that opened up a Wheatley screen and did some other stuff in the chamber. (The weirdly lit place at 07:16 was supposed to be a Wheatley monitor)
09:58: ...wut? I've never had that happen. I'm assuming you got stuck in the ceiling.
13:40: Again, I've never had that happen, but I'll bet the cube kept entering and leaving the trigger.

These bugs will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for breaking my map! :thumbup:

@El Farmerino: Nice catch. Good idea, I'll make that a reward.

@RogerL: Hmm, there is a func_clip_vphysics over the grate so cubes shouldn't go through. Can you tell me exactly how that happened? Also, nice catch on not requiring a light bridge.

@Mr. P. Kiwi: Good idea, I shouldn't have expected players to be able to catch the cube the first time.

Thank you all again for the feedback!
Released Maps |
WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Mho' Power - Community Spotlight!
Four Corners
wrathofmobius
Community Contributor

Postby Djinndrache » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 pm

wrathofmobius wrote:
07:01: You were supposed to crouch through the window. Thus, you missed a trigger that opened up a Wheatley screen and did some other stuff in the chamber. (The weirdly lit place at 07:16 was supposed to be a Wheatley monitor)

Too bad I missed that, I like Wheatley :(

wrathofmobius wrote:
09:58: ...wut? I've never had that happen. I'm assuming you got stuck in the ceiling.

Yes. Also started to have weird mouse reactions here. But I don't assume it to be about your map. Added an annotation to explain my weird mouse shaking though :p (a few seconds after this)

wrathofmobius wrote:
13:40: Again, I've never had that happen, but I'll bet the cube kept entering and leaving the trigger.

Yes, the cube was still in the funnel in the other room, and there on top the cube had a hot time with the trigger ;)

wrathofmobius wrote:
These bugs will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for breaking my map! :thumbup:

Great to hear, but please don't forget that you may not update the map before the judgement is over. Otherwise you may get disqualified for applying updates after the contest ended.
Djinndrache

Postby wrathofmobius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Djinndrache wrote:
Great to hear, but please don't forget that you may not update the map before the judgement is over. Otherwise you may get disqualified for applying updates after the contest ended.

Of course, wouldn't want my map disqualified. :lol:
Released Maps |
WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Four Corners
wrathofmobius
Community Contributor

Postby wstrika » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Here's my playthrough:

wstrika
They told me that if I ever turned mat_fullbright on, I would die!

Postby wrathofmobius » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Aww, both you and Djin have made my last chamber look bad :(
Although your solution worked, the one I had in mind was to use the excursion funnel to bring the cube up through the indicators, just like you did. Instead of firing a portal through though, walk through and catch the cube dropped in the side room with the excursion funnel. Then, place it on the gap in the indicator strip and walk over the hard light bridge. Place the cube on the button, then jump down and place the other cube over the gap using the hard light bridge. Your solution was pretty cool though, can't imagine what thought process came up with that :lol:
Released Maps |
WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Four Corners
wrathofmobius
Community Contributor

Postby RogerL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

wrathofmobius wrote:
@RogerL: Hmm, there is a func_clip_vphysics over the grate so cubes shouldn't go through. Can you tell me exactly how that happened?

Well, I'm not a mapmaker, so I have no idea what a func_clip_vphysics is, but I can tell you that the cube would pass through the grate in one direction, but not the other, so maybe it needs to be applied to both sides of the grate. For example, place a portal on the floor near the exit and one on the wall where you are. Take a cube and push it through the wall portal. You'll never get it back. The same applies to the grate over the wall where the funnel terminates.
RogerL

Postby ChickenMobile » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 pm

RogerL wrote:
I dont no what func_clip_vphysics is, but I herd it alot.
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll be posting all my feedbacks after I rate everyone's map. But these were nice chambers :thumbup:
                             TWP Releases | My Workshop
ChickenMobile

Postby RogerL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

ChickenMobile wrote:
RogerL wrote:
I dont no what func_clip_vphysics is, but I herd it alot.
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll be posting all my feedbacks after I rate everyone's map. But these were nice chambers :thumbup:

Nooooo. I'm a Mantisman now. I dont no what a Mantisman is, but I nver herd it none.
RogerL

Postby wrathofmobius » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

I am a Mantisman too. We must join forces and take over the world. Just steer clear of the yellow line. Those guys have guns.

Func_clip_vphysics just blocks physics objects. It should be bidirectional... I'll have to look into that.
Released Maps |
WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Four Corners
wrathofmobius
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases