[SP] Cubi

[SP] Cubi

Postby AmnDragon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Cubi is a brainy portal experience designed for players who have played through most / all of Portal 2.

The puzzles are primarily cerebral in nature, providing a challenge that the average Portal player will enjoy while still providing fresh puzzles for the more skilled player.

Click here to download [SP] Cubi
Last edited by AmnDragon on Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmnDragon
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Cubi

Postby AmnDragon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Special thanks to the following testers for making this project possible!

Special thanks:

Gregoire Cherlin
Brett English
Erin Nix
Peter Nix
LN Lurie
Greg Stricklin
Max Farley
Jeff Hofer
Brian Wheeler
Matt Metke
Steve Schultz
Chris Casiano
Greg Lehmann
Andrew Dobbs
Steve Kramer
James Smith
Chris Cummings
Dave Avram
AmnDragon
Community Contributor

Postby AmnDragon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Screenshots below!

AmnDragon
Community Contributor

Postby xdiesp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Cubi's got sharp playful looks, and compared to similar others, also makes show of a tad more intelligence. You'll be more intrigued than stopped in your tracks, with no otherwordly difficulty spikes either.
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Postby auzerx » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am

I liked it! Puzzle difficulty was about 5/10, which I consider about casual gamer level, and aesthetics are 7/10 for the clean look and layout. Three rooms seems to be a solid number for establishing a rhythm but without overstaying its welcome, and I like that all the puzzles don't use the same mechanic, (all lasers, all cubes, etc etc).

Thanks for the map! Good luck in the competition.
auzerx
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby CrazyGuy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am

The first area was challenging enough, but I didn't find the 2nd area to require too much thought or practice, got it on the second try with the cube drop. Then the learning curve goes up sharply with the third puzzle, I found most of my time spent on that one and not the others. Still, its good. 4/5
CrazyGuy
Community Contributor

Postby Will T. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 am

Quite fun. It took me a little bit in the third area to figure out what the point was to raising and lowering the laser relays, but I realized how clever that was when I did.

This map didn't take me long, but no map does typically. I really liked this one - it definitely captures that recurring element of the single-player campaign centering around "do something simple, then realize you need to do that same thing, but this time do this first/at the same time," which I enjoy.

Well done! :thumbup:
There is no "N" in "Turret."
Will T.
Community Contributor

Postby NuclearDuckie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 am

Great job! The third puzzle was clever and fun to work out, but what I really appreciated was the how the first one managed to make me "think with portals" in the traditional sense.

I actually feel like the single-player campaign in Portal 2 "dumbed me down" somewhat, by taking away the original mind-bending portal puzzles and instead making the portals either a quicker-than-usual method of getting from A to B, or a "click where you want to deploy laser/bridge/gel/funnel" mechanic. The first puzzle here forced me to think outside of this in order to be able to correctly use the excursion funnel. So it was interesting without being insanely difficult.
NuclearDuckie
Mantisman

Postby Djinndrache » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am

I'm playing custom maps and record my first time of playing them. So the run is not perfect and may not use only intended ways, but maybe it can let you see how other people may understand the map or you could just enjoy someone playing this map for entertainment.
Anyways, here is the recording:

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4jG4ynmTK0)

Also note the video description for more feedback and my signature for additional project information.
Djinndrache
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby __animax__ » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am

Great map! I was fully convinced that the first challenge was not possible, that there was a timing error. I quit the map, then a few hours later the solution popped into my head!

Keep up the good work!
__animax__
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby infernet89 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 am

By the description i was expecting a fairly hard puzzle.. wich was not.
It was kinda easy, but well designed and fun.
My only regret is the music, i've found it a little annoying.. But that is a personal point of view.
I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)
infernet89
Mantisman

Postby quatrus » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Nice and clean with puzzles about medium difficulty. Everything worked fine for me. Well done.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Postby Enigmaphase » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Djinndrache wrote:
I'm playing custom maps and record my first time of playing them. So the run is not perfect and may not use only intended ways, but maybe it can let you see how other people may understand the map or you could just enjoy someone playing this map for entertainment.
Anyways, here is the recording:

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4jG4ynmTK0)

Also note the video description for more feedback and my signature for additional project information.

No way! He said something different!!! Still not map-specific, so I guess he'll just copy paste this message from now on, but still...

Anyway, I really enjoyed your map. The chamber where you had to hit the two buttons within a few seconds was my favorite; I really love flings. All in all, I think it was a very well-made map, good job.
Enigmaphase
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Adair » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm

I think the first chamber took me the most time to solve, but even there I felt like the answers were constantly flowing without any need to stop and scratch my head. What makes it great is even though the answers were easy to come by it still made me think beyond my first instinct.

The second chamber was pretty short compared to the others. Just a few steps to solve the puzzle, but it was a fun thing to do between chambers 1 and 3. After the initial look around the room to see what I was dealing with it was very easy to see the solution and carry it out.

Chamber 3 at first looked like it would be more difficult than it was. I spent a moment thinking about how the ability to raise and lower the laser relays would effect the puzzle, but nothing else gave me pause so I formed a plan and solved it rather quickly.

Overall this is a well constructed map. I didn't find(or go looking for) any flaws or shortcuts, and it's also nice that I always felt like the solution I was seeing was the intended one. It was a good length and had a decent amount of stuff to figure out, but I felt that it got easier rather than harder.
Adair
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby bjs0 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Very, very good. The visuals are exactly how I like them, and the puzzles all had something new to experience. In my opinion, the difficulty was not very high. That makes the description quite accurate.

A high level of polish and solid concepts make this a map to remember. Thank you for sharing it with us.
bjs0
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases