Rainbow's Competition Entry

Rainbow's Competition Entry

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Imaginative name I know...
I was pushed for time and kinda rushed the very last part, but apart from that it's all done.

File Name: rainbow_comp_entry.zip
File Size: 8.83 MiB
Click here to download Rainbow's Competition Entry
Rainbow
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Rainbow's Competition Entry

Postby narfomatikus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 pm

nice maps, but found 2 bugs!?

the first im not shure if its a bug or intendet:
|
you can make portals here

and the second one in the end of the map
|
you dont go back to menu, you endup below the elevator
narfomatikus
Defective Turret

Postby Hober » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 pm

narf, he did say he was rushed for the last part.
"Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby xdiesp » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 am

It could have been the beginning of a wonderful friendship. At face value, the map's really good: well built, organized, even took care of the obligatory vista and intro. But corners were cut for the time schedule, and the rest falls short of that.

So the setting is really just that one room, the second better forgotten, and you're going to breeze through it in tops 20 moves. But unless it gets discontinued, the chance for future goodness is all there.
the hills are alive... with the sound of music
xdiesp
Community Contributor

Postby infernet89 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:09 pm

I needed to make the first jump three times to reach the other chamber and the faith plate didn't launch me to the exit ._., and, worse of all, the area under the laser doesn't look portalable, but it needed to be
I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)
infernet89
Mantisman

Postby Nahor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

The last room is unfinished:
- The cubes can go through the movable white wall in the third room (screenshot was taken while the cube was falling). Weirdly, it does that only if there is an opened portal on the white wall.
- The actuators creating the platform are floating
- The door when closing/opening shows the open space for a short time before showing the elevator room.
Nahor
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby quatrus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Making standard nonportalable surfaces portalable in order to increase difficulty in the puzzle solution is not the way to go. Disappointed. Nice map but needs work.
quatrus
Community Contributor

Postby Resplendent » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 pm

quatrus wrote:
Making standard nonportalable surfaces portalable in order to increase difficulty in the puzzle solution is not the way to go. Disappointed. Nice map but needs work.

Agree. I spent 10 mins trying to get the laser through the wall and all kinds of crap until I finally gave up and checked this thread. Not cool. This map shouldn't have been on the contest list tbh. That said, it was otherwise a good map. Shame the end had to ruin it for me.
Resplendent
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Skerik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

You can also bring the cube from the first room in the 2nd room. The fizzler between the 2 is not destroying the cube.
Skerik

Postby Soundlogic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Few things:
Don't mess with what kind of surfaces are portalable unless you make it VERY OBVIOUS AND UNIVERSAL (A map with only green portalable surfaces would be ok, because it still is recognizable)
Shouldn't the faith plate take you to the exit?
If you are going to use the lightbridge climbing system, introduce a transition puzzle to show how it is done. This technique isn't in the main game, and many people might not have tried things like it.
Soundlogic
Mantisman

Postby ormolu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:48 pm

I spent far, far too much time trying to figure out the last room just because I didn't realize the surface just beneath the laser was portalable. Like 20 minutes at least. I'm glad I gave up and checked this thread! It was a breeze after I realized that, except the faith plate doesn't carry you to the exit. So I used the light bridge and got up to the exit while it was still closed and then shot my portals from up there to reactivate everything. Maybe that was the intended way to exit, but after everything else it was super annoying.
ormolu
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby BlumCoLe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm

omfg ...i was thinking it is a new map and starting the map.
Then (during play) I was sure that I already knew. *facepalm*

Why did you push so old topics and buggy unfinished maps?! -_-
Visit me on ► youtube ◄
BlumCoLe
Mantisman

Postby hyperion1is » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Rainbow,
Too bad you didn't come back to this topic. It is your map after all. This is constructive criticism(I think).
From my point of view is a nice map. I like the maps that are "clean" and non-apocalyptic. But still, has some downsides, the ones mentioned above.
For the final part I used the same solution as ormolu. I don't know if this was the intended one.
Maybe you will tell us. Good luck!
hyperion1is
Defective Turret

Postby perfectvolta67 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:34 pm

also i was able to get through the emancipation grill with the companion cube after hurling across the big gap with the gels.... amd I also had hard time with faith plate launching me into the door. if you crouch, you land on top of the door, but if you stand, you hit the ceiling. I was able to nail it somehow by crouching in mid-air, but I'm guessing that is not your intended result. Otherwise I did like the map, well done.
perfectvolta67
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby Portal2Two » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am

Cool map, nothing hard, yet it took me some effort to figure out the final puzzle. Feels so good when solved. :thumbup:

Rainbow's Competition Entry Portal 2 Custom Map

Portal2Two

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases