Shift-Tab

Shift-Tab

Postby l1zardr0ckets » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 pm

his is my submission for the TWP 2017 mapping competition.

A huge thanks to:
-josepezdj for his yucky signage
-Skotty for his sweet corner squarebeam models
-Tmast for his awesome elevator instance
-and Tanger2b for talking me through many issues I faced throughout making this map

I hope you enjoy my map

Click here to download Shift-Tab
l1zardr0ckets
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: Shift-Tab

Postby portal2tenacious » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Really good map. The best map. This one is going to win.
Big Mood
portal2tenacious
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin

Postby LambdaCore 21 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:12 pm

The mapping was excellent, you nailed the destructed theme perfectly! The most detailed map of all submissions.

Puzzle-wise you managed to get that "oh, looks easy enough... oh wait" effect, I knew you placed the white walls around the funnel for a reason, but I couldn't figure out why. Until I solved it by accident. Clever!
LambdaCore 21
Defective Turret

Postby l1zardr0ckets » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm

LambdaCore 21 wrote:
The mapping was excellent, you nailed the destructed theme perfectly! The most detailed map of all submissions.

Puzzle-wise you managed to get that "oh, looks easy enough... oh wait" effect, I knew you placed the white walls around the funnel for a reason, but I couldn't figure out why. Until I solved it by accident. Clever!

Thank you for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed it :)
l1zardr0ckets

Postby Idolon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am

I think I like this map? My first time through I stumbled into the solution by just trying random things and eventually having the realization to place the light bridge by the funnel. When I was finished, I didn't really understand what I had just done. I did a second play through and things make more sense (though the solution I used involved getting out of an excursion funnel to land on the 64-unit ledge in the glass wall to jump to the light bridge which is a tricky enough maneuver to feel like I wasn't meant to do it.

The detailing is good, though it has some questionable bits. This floor feels like it isn't supported by anything, which I would believe with a smaller piece of floor but it physically just feels wrong to me. Same deal with this column. Really, a lot of the destroyed theme as a whole is structurally questionable, but these two parts called my attention to them.

I also noticed this invisible fizzler, which I assume is to prevent an unintended solution. I realize this is probably put in after you had detailed everything (explaining why you wouldn't just resize the chamber a bit to prevent the solution) but I think you could also just remove some of the white panels to do the same thing.
Idolon
Community Contributor

Postby l1zardr0ckets » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Idolon wrote:
I did a second play through and things make more sense (though the solution I used involved getting out of an excursion funnel to land on the 64-unit ledge in the glass wall to jump to the light bridge which is a tricky enough maneuver to feel like I wasn't meant to do it.

That solution is not intended, you are right about me trying to prevent unintended solutions and I appreciate the feedback. Once the competition is over I will be sure to fix them.
l1zardr0ckets

Postby Idolon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 pm

l1zardr0ckets wrote:
That solution is not intended,

Oops! Here's a video of how I solved it.

Idolon
Community Contributor

Postby joric » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Solved (the conventional way I believe). This is the most production quality map of all the prize places, so 5/5.
joric
Defective Turret

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Return to Contest Submissions