[SP] Vestibule

[SP] Vestibule

Postby Idolon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Vestibule is a map with two difficult puzzles that require 'outside-the-box' thinking. Not recommended for new players. Comes with HDR and contains a few easter eggs as well.

Click here to download Vestibule
Last edited by Idolon on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idolon
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Vestibule

Postby HeadShot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Very nice chambers! Obviously they look great, and the solutions are clever and clean. Well done!
HeadShot
Mantisman

Postby RectorRocks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Excellent map, really well done! Enjoyed it very much :thumbup:
Here's my blindrun:

Tell me if there are any unintended solutions! ;)

Feedback |
-I portal-bumped in the first chamber, was that intended?

5/5. Excellent.
Thanks for mapping! :thumbup:
Cheers! :)
You shouldn't cry into bread.
RectorRocks
Chariots Chariots

Postby srs bsnss » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:25 am

There's a certain artform that comes with creating a perfect test.

Firstly, making it look pretty. That's not especially difficult, but it takes time to get it to took really good. This map looks absolutely stunning, so you've obviously got the aesthetic part down pat.

The second thing is the difficulty. There's a fine line between 'too hard' and 'challenging but fun'. The key thing is to keep the player interested, thinking "I'm so close, all I need is just this last step". You've done that here. Despite it's difficulty, I was in that 'so close' mindset the whole time, and it made finishing it so rewarding.

That said, this is pretty much the perfect test. Well done, my friend :thumbup:
ImageImage
srs bsnss
Chariots Chariots

Postby Idolon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

RectorRocks wrote:
Here's my blindrun:
-snip-

Thanks for the video! I fixed most of the issues you found. Your solution for the 1st chamber wasn't intended, but I think I'll leave it in, since 'fixing' it would make the intended solution far more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Also, does anyone know of a way to make it so players can't grab boxes through grates? My current setup is a non-solid func_brush, playerclip, and func_clip_vphysics.
Idolon
Community Contributor

Postby LoneWolf2056 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Idolon wrote:
Comes with HDR

Umm is there anything special about compiling HDR?, I assumed everyone does a full final compile before release :lol:

Very visually stunning map, I used portal bumping as well, seemed like the only way in.

Make the grate a func_detail if you dont want someone to grab through it, that tends to work as far as I can remember. However the setup you are using is needed if you need to fire portals behind the grate.
LoneWolf2056
Community Contributor

Postby josepezdj » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Very good map Idolon! :thumbup: I wouldn't elevate it to the same level of perfection as srs bsnss did :lol: , but it's an awesome map! About the puzzles, the second one seemed to me kind of familiar, reminded me of any of Gig maps or something but I felt it a bit straight forward. However I loved that the size of both chambers were exactly the size required and not any single inch more :D

Detailing was incredible! Really well done! I didn't find any easter egg in the first run but I'm curious to find them, so I'll return! :)
Idolon wrote:
Also, does anyone know of a way to make it so players can't grab boxes through grates? My current setup is a non-solid func_brush, playerclip, and func_clip_vphysics.
The problem is that you can place a portal near the grate, not your setup, your setup is correct. If you want to avoid that, leave at least 32 units from the grate to the white tiles :wink:

Playthrough video (one hour still remaining):

ImageImageImageImageImage
useful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup: |
josepezdj
Olympian and/or War Hero

Postby Shakky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Great one! Nice medium difficulty and the map looks splendid. The second puzzle was really good and I really enjoyed how all the pieces snapped together.

There are 2 solutions to both chambers but I think they don't need fixing. For the first chamber my solution video shows the other one (other one showed in jose's video) but for the second chamber there is an another solution which doesn't require for you to destroy a cube. Both solutions work good for both chambers so no problems here.

My solution video:
|
Last edited by Shakky on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
That sure is a nice map you got there. It would be a shame if someone broke it.

My maps: Bits , Color Me Rainbow and Spank Me Skyward
Shakky
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby RogerL » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:47 am

...aaaand, once again, we can't watch Shakky's video because he has once again run afoul of the YT video police. Have you ever considered making your own music or maybe using something from the public domain? The point of these forums is to help people make better maps. It is not to show off your eclectic musical tastes.
RogerL
Immediate Past President of the Being Alive Club

Postby Baboon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 am

That was fantastic, well done. Like others have said the multiple solutions are not a big deal so do not worry about fixing them (in my opinion). Both the visuals and puzzles were a lot of fun.
Baboon
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby Shakky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 am

Sorry Roger for insulting you. It's the second time this has ever happened and it's too bad you've been here the both times.

I have a long music background and I make my own music but I'm way too critical when it comes to my own music and I pretty much never release anything. I should maybe get over that but as for this video, my priority was to get it out as fast as possible. It was already like 2 am when I recorded it and if I were to start composing music for it would have taken all night.

As for my music choises. I try my hardest to pick music with no copyright. I stay far away from the mainstream stuff and try to pick artist that would be fine with me using their music. I really didn't think that a song made in the 1940's would be so highly guarded and instantly taken down. I could just use the audio I had when I recorded the run but I most of the time watch tv on the other screen and I think that soothing music is better than a 2 min clip from the middle of a random tv show.

I'm terribly sorry for ruining your day. I will try to make sure it won't happen again.

The video should work now.
That sure is a nice map you got there. It would be a shame if someone broke it.

My maps: Bits , Color Me Rainbow and Spank Me Skyward
Shakky
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby srs bsnss » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:44 am

josepezdj wrote:
I wouldn't elevate it to the same level of perfection as srs bsnss did :lol: ,

Well, you've been at this longer than me :P I haven't witnessed as much visual splendour in my time :lol:
ImageImage
srs bsnss
Chariots Chariots

Postby josepezdj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:45 am

LoneWolf2056 wrote:
Very visually stunning map, I used portal bumping as well, seemed like the only way in.
Hmmm.... well, technically not :D There is a legit way:

:thumbup:
useful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup: |
josepezdj
Olympian and/or War Hero

Postby RogerL » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 am

@Shakky: Don't pay any attention to me, I'm just jealous because my playing skills aren't as good as yours. That fling-portal-cube grab combo in room one was pretty cool.

Back on topic: It looks like there are a couple of solutions for room one even without portal bumping as Shakky and josepezdj show.
RogerL
Immediate Past President of the Being Alive Club

Postby Idolon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:09 pm

For those curious, Josepezdj's video shows the intended solution, although Shakky's video shows the "correct" "way in." Anyways, the map has been updated, so portal bumping under the fizzler is no longer an option. I also fixed an autosaving bug that Bloodhound found, and you can no longer grab cubes through the grating.
Idolon
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases