Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

Re: Puzzle Creator Tech Info, Hacks, and Laughs

Postby presto668 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 pm

FelixGriffin wrote:
As far as I can tell it's using the kinematic equations to figure out the velocity. It uses the physics speed to find the time, then combines that with the distance and the player's mass to find the player speed.

Hmm. Could you elaborate? All I've been able to figure out so far is that if the faith plate and the target are on the same level, the physics speed is 80 times the distance between the two, divided by the sqrt(2). But the same rule doesn't apply when the target is at a different height. I thought it might be doing something like using the point where a parabola would intersect a plane at the same height as the launcher, but no.

And this isn't even getting into what happens when the plate is on a wall.
presto668
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Postby FelixGriffin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 pm

The relevant vertical kinematics equations are thus:

V sub zero is the initial velocity, aka the KeyValue on the faith plate.
V is the final velocity, the speed with which the player hits the ground at the end (with sign information).
Delta-X is the displacement, the distance travelled.
A is the acceleration, in this case due to gravity.
T is the time it takes.

To find how high the player will be launched from a faith plate, for example, you would set V to zero, V-zero to the player speed, and solve for delta-X.

I believe the PTI figures out the physics-object-speed value, uses it to solve for T, then uses that to figure out the player speed.
Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin
Olympian and/or War Hero

Postby presto668 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm

You're forcing me to dredge up those high school physics memories. :)

Thanks, I'll ponder it for a while. Working my way through the rest of the item palette right now.
presto668

Postby presto668 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 am

FelixGriffin wrote:
I believe the PTI figures out the physics-object-speed value, uses it to solve for T, then uses that to figure out the player speed.

I'm finally getting back to this after getting most of the other PTI test elements working. I don't think the time has any bearing on the calculation. The speed given in the in the .p2c file is the X component of the launch velocity for physics objects. Since the player speed is a different value in the .vmf, the time can't be the same for both.

You can verify this by making a loop of 4 faith plates in a square. Put a cube dropper over one of them and walk onto another one. The cube will gradually catch up to you as you bounce around the loop.

I have an equation that's accurate to 2 or 3 decimal places, but it only works if the plate and the target are on the same Z level. This is incredibly frustrating because I've pretty much got everything else working apart from goo pits, and these wretched plates are the railroad tie across the highway of progress. :angrysquare:
presto668

Previous

Return to Puzzle Creator and Workshop