Try Anything Twice

Try Anything Twice

Postby HMW » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:39 pm

My second (and final) Portal 1 project. Five chambers, each of which must be played twice. However, each second round has a twist...

Copyright (c) 2010 ~ 2015 by HMW; some rights reserved
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

You need 7-zip to extract this file.
http://www.7-zip.org/

File Name: hmw01_1_2.7z
File Size: 36.42 MiB
Click here to download Try Anything Twice
Last edited by HMW on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
HMW
Senior Stalemate Associate

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [BETA] Try Anything Twice 1.0.2

Postby Player1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:55 pm

This was absolutely bloody brilliant! The very first chamber was a little on the "meh" side, but served fine to introduce your try-anything-twice concept. The rest of the chambers were awesome!

I especially loved the part with all the lasers. First you felt like your were manipulating some kind of really cool physics experiment, and then you felt like you were in Mission Impossible trying to dance around all the laser beams knowing full well if you touched any you'd get caught!

I'm kinda hoping you will finish this in Portal 2 so many more will get to try it out :D
Player1
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby HMW » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Player1 wrote:
I'm kinda hoping you will finish this in Portal 2 so many more will get to try it out :D

That's a good idea, but I'm already well under way with the last chamber, still for the original Portal. It's puzzle-complete now and I'm currently working on the design.

I will probably adapt the whole series for Portal 2 at some point, with some enhancements...
edit: probably not, that would be a HUGE amount of work...
Last edited by HMW on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW

Postby Sidneys1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Strange, but in the second room (with the lasers and redirection cubes) the laser on the second floor seems to be too low.. It hits the bottom lip of the angled 'tray' you need to place the first redirection cube on... I'll try to get a screenshot in a bit..

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
^Click to go to my Steam Community Profile^
Sidneys1
Mantisman

Postby Player1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Sidneys1 wrote:
Strange, but in the second room (with the lasers and redirection cubes) the laser on the second floor seems to be too low.. It hits the bottom lip of the angled 'tray' you need to place the first redirection cube on... I'll try to get a screenshot in a bit..

I had that "problem" as well. But there exists a solution. With portals.
Player1
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Postby HMW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:26 am

Sidneys1 wrote:

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1

No need for a screenshot; I know exactly what you mean. And it's intended :)
HMW

Postby suicidal_banana » Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Did you know the portal2 betas had a mirror cube? before they made that lame glass orb thing? sweet either way :D
suicidal_banana
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby HMW » Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Cool, I didn't know that!
I also started out with a portable mirror, but it was way too difficult to aim accurately. I don't even remember if I decided to make the current cube before or after I saw Valve's laser map demo's :D
HMW

Re: Try Anything Twice

Postby HMW » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 am

Full version is released!
(Sorry for the double post, but my update of the first post didn't seem to trigger a "topic updated" signal.)
HMW

Postby NuclearDuckie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:22 am

I noticed the update in your signature. ;)

Great map! At first I thought I would be apprehensive of having to run though each chamber twice, but the changes made were interesting and appealing. I can't yet give a full review as I am currently stuck on the third (sixth?) puzzle (the one where the room tilts on an angle), but I can already get an idea of just how much effort has gone into preparing this.

Can't wait to see what you can do with Portal 2!
NuclearDuckie
Mantisman

Postby fuzzytipsy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 pm

It's really fun, though I haven't finished it yet. I'm currently on the second version of the 5th chamber. I've also learned that the same method of thinking often won't solve the map on both tries.
With the fourth chamber, I found the part with the energy ball difficult and the rest simple the first time through. The second time, is was the opposite.
The 5th chamber feels sort of intimidating to me. It took me a long time to figure out where to go from the main room, and I kept mixing up the entrances to the rooms, even on the second time through.
I really like the way that you see the changes that happen, even if the effects aren't obvious at first. The 5th chamber feels like it needs a bit more direction, but that'a partially because that's where I'm stuck now.
I noticed two problems:
|
in the first time through the fourth chamber, the energy ball started bouncing wrong at one point. On the final bounce before going into the receptor for the door, it would bounce at the wrong angle and go towards the back of the room. I don't remember doing anything particularly strange.
In the 5th chamber, at the entrance with the longer chute, I became stuck in the slanted tile at the bottom multiple times. This happened when I would try to go up the chute but not have enough speed. I fell back down and ended up at the foot of the tile. I cannot move from there quickly, but I could generally move eventually, often after crouching.
Sorry about my lack of screenshots for both of these.

Edit: Completed map, some more comments:
|
The ladders at the very end were very hard to figure out. I thought that they were important, but I kept trying to jump up them, and that didn't work. Also you can shoot a portal onto the tile that the ladders lead to from below. It doesn't help, but it's sort of weird.

All in all, it was a beautiful map, though a few of the elements required some very precise/quick movements (mostly on the second time through the fourth and fifth maps). I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what you create for Portal 2.
fuzzytipsy
i dont know what brush is but i herd it alot

Postby HMW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for your comments, guys!

bugs |
I got multiple reports from different people of the energy ball misbehaving, but I can't replicate it on my computer and I have no idea why it's doing that. Pretty frustrating.

About getting stuck when falling back down the chute: I think I know what you mean and I'll note that on the bugs list. I might release an update some time in the future, but I want to collect some more comments first; perhaps there are other things that need fixing.

The ladders work like in Half-Life 2. You should automatically climb up when you keep walking forward. I don't know for sure if it's another bug or if the fact that you're jumping makes any difference.
HMW

Postby infernet89 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 pm

I've reinstalled Portal1 just for playing this map. That was the best idea i had this month.
This was really great. I'm working on a speed run for spread it to youtube, but will be a loooong job.

P.S. I encountered a little glitch during my first playthrough.
the second time on second room, only one cube fallen from the dispenser. Even pressing the button won't fix that. I realoaded and everything worked fine.
I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)
infernet89
Mantisman

Postby HMW » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Wow, that's a commitment!

I love watching speedruns, especially all the crazy shurtcuts people come up with...
Looking forward to that video :thumbup:

I'll also see if I can reproduce the cube bug.
HMW

Postby yohoat9 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey HMW, would you mind if I decompiled the map and tried to remake it for Portal 2? Without any changes in puzzles or anything?
Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15
yohoat9

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases