[SP] Sendificate

[SP] Sendificate

Postby HMW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 am

A new invention, straight from the Science department of Aperture Science!

This is the start of a series revolving around a new testing element called the "sendificator". The difficulty is medium/hard; no ninja-skills required.

Thanks to Mevious and Josepezdj for beta testing, and to Sicklebrick for helping with ideas for detecting active portals in scripts.
And of course to everyone on TWP who posted nice reviews and constructive feedback!

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported

You can download the source files for this map from my website.

Image Image
Image Image

Update v7:
* Improved model for the sendificator (design is the same; just added some detail and improved texture space usage)
* Solved bug where playing this map after the next Sendificate map, caused some models to appear white.

Update v6:
* More small fixes.

Update v5:
* Replaced Bendy for Chell. (I like Bendy, but he looks awkwardly out of place in this overgrown environment.)
* Fixed a bug where a teleport trace that ends right after going through a portal, can cause the cube to disappear, or appear in the wrong place;
* some small fixes.

Update v4:
* Added a small hint to the end of the second room;
* introduced special sendificator antlines for connecting the machine to a beam;
* still more updates to the laser effect!

* For map designers: added co-op support! (Thanks to Groxkiller585 for helping me with this!)

Update v3:
* proper sound effects;
* lasers flash on machine activation, to make it more clear that they are part of the mechanism;
* lots of other special effects;
* hopefully fixed the bug where the movable ramp could be made to stay up without a cube on the button;
* more small cosmetic fixes.

Update v2:
* removed dependency on sp_transition_list.nut (having a non-standard version of this file caused players to spawn without a portal gun);
* fixed cube dropping through floor in room 0;
* various small cosmetic fixes.

Click here to download [SP] Sendificate
Last edited by HMW on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
HMW
Senior Stalemate Associate

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Sendificate

Postby RubyCarbuncIe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 am

Yet again, another creative new test element is created. It could just be that I love to test with new things but I found this map very entertaining. I loved the creativity of the chambers. At first glance the test chambers look intimidating which makes me over think the map to much. XD

I love the way the element is used and I love the overall look and feel that this map gives the player. A very unique, and fun map. I cannot wait to see more from you! :)
"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

RubyCarbuncIe
Your Old Friend, Deadly Neurotoxin

Postby benvent » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 am

Wow. Nice destroyed theme puzzle. Have not seen alot of this style lately. Very well done. I liked the new "sendificator" The only thing I didn't like was the breaking glass sound it makes. I lost one of the cubes in the first room. Non solid floor but only when a portal is placed on the wall near it. Here is a short dem file to show you.

lostcube.zip
(204.3 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
"I am not a Marshmallow"
benvent
Mantisman

Postby silic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

i hate you... lol

i enjoyed these maps ALOT... only niche i have with it is just with that middle level being tilted it completely made me feel ill, but thats just a small niche at what a beautiful map / concept you have created!
Released content
Withdrawal Symptoms - V2.0.3 (community round-up // 1500 downloads)
Your choice - V2.0 (community round-up // 1000 downloads)
Too Many Variables - V1.0

Work in progress
Project Upgrade
silic
Community Contributor

Postby Jacu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Love your idea :D
Took me about 15 mins to complete all tests, can't wait for more of this
Jacu
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Falconerd » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 pm

This is really nice. Has a good look and feel - the uneasiness of Portal 2 is amplified by the slanted room.
Falconerd
Defective Turret

Postby HMW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Overgrown is one of my favourite styles (along with Cave Johnson era), so expect more of that. There will be no more entire rooms tilted though, that was a one-off :)

benvent wrote:
I liked the new "sendificator" The only thing I didn't like was the breaking glass sound it makes.

Yes, the visual and sound effects leave a lot to be desired at the moment. That's going to change. (The breaking glass sound comes from tiny breakable objects that I used as sensors to determine the direction of the laser.)
By the way, I couldn't get your demo file to play, but I think I know what the problem might be. It shouldn't be hard to reproduce now that I know that it exists.
Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby Falconerd » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 pm

So, I just spent half an hour in the slanted room. When I figured it out: facepalm. Love it.
Falconerd
Defective Turret

Postby Senf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Rather simple puzzles actually. But only if you know the solution. :D
I facepalmed in room 2 and the 3 at the end and was really worried about my state of mind.
Awesome new element, great puzzles and really good looking rooms.
Amazing job!
More of these maps and this new element, please.
6/5! :)
Senf
Defective Turret

Postby Falconerd » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah, just solved 3 and am feeling particularly slow. Great work 5/5 from me.
Falconerd
Defective Turret

Postby BEARD! » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Great map, even better concept. I'd say the puzzles are of medium difficulty - the toughness is dealing with a completely new element. With that said, the map trains you to think with this new contraption.

I was a little disappointed when I couldn't do this to [spoiler]teleport both cubes at once[/spoiler], but then again I suppose that would be breaking the map.

Thoughts on how the map was made
[spoiler]The level of detailing was superb. I noticed a few things in the corridor between the first and second puzzles. The vacuum tube you can see there just 'stops' - maybe stick another tube model on top. Also, the lighting on the floor there seemed a little blocky - change the lightmap scale there perhaps? Finally, the small pool of water at the start was a little buggy for me - the reflections 'jittered' as I moved about. Nonetheless, it was a nice touch.[/spoiler]

As other replies have mentioned, the breaking glass and fade-to-white effect did seem out of place but it did its job. Maybe you could use the charge-up sound from chamber 2 in the original Portal? A particle effect might be nice to have as well. On another note, I quite liked how chamber 2 was inclined at an angle, although I can appreciate that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm looking forward to seeing more sendification! (maybe even in coop?)
BEARD!
Community Contributor

Postby soad667 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Cakes! When i saw a P2 map from you i almost fainted :P, considering how awesome was your stuff in the original Portal. Great idea, kinda easy puzzles once you understand the concept, but still loved the unique idea behind them and the overall detail.

Lol, i did the same with BEARD, [spoiler]tried to stack and teleport both cubes at once[/spoiler]. I was really excited with the idea that it might work. For science. But it didn't, i have to live with that.
soad667
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby quatrus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Enjoyed your Portal 1 maps and this one for Portal 2 is outstanding as well. The cube sender has great potential - hope to see it used on other maps...
Thanks for creating, again....
quatrus
Community Contributor

Postby Scout Pilgrim » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Wow. I have to say, this was a new, creative test element that was fun to work with. It's a simple, easy to understand concept that can be used to create complex puzzles. I also love the nod to Homestuck through the name.

The first room was easy, and the last one took me maybe about 5 minutes before I solved it. The second one stumped for quite a while until i finally figured it out. I like how all the puzzles show the players how to work with the Sendificator and its capabilities. I also love how the look of the rooms are, especially the tilt on room 2. It really adds to the feeling that things are broken.

I'm going to rate this a 5/5 because it's a simply great quality in look and enjoyment factor, and the fact it introduces a fun new testing element that's simple to learn, but can be a bit tricky to master at first.

EDIT: I also have to agree with others about the glass breaking particle effect sound for the Sendificator. It sounds a bit odd with what the device does and all, but there's nothing too wrong with the way it fades out and in to white to me.
Scout Pilgrim
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby andyb » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Excellent map cant wait to see more of this 5/5

[spoiler]ZLboptuknGQ[/spoiler]
Last edited by andyb on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyb
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases