Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumCommunity Boards: Community ReleasesRexaura
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rexaura

Page 1 of 5Next

Rexaura is a mod for Portal 1. It features puzzles based on high energy pellets and several new mechanics surrounding them.

File Name: rexaura_1.3.7z
File Size: 152.98 MiB
Click here to download Rexaura

Damn, considering that i loved all your previous projects, guess i'll need to reinstall Portal. I have a feeling it will worth it. :)

This project has been in the works for about a year. I started it back in December of 2010 to give myself something to work on before Portal 2 was released, and I've continued to work on it since then.

This is a beta release so if you want to help me release a polished product, please give feedback about:
- Bugs (of course)
- Alternate solutions
- Areas where you got stuck/need a hint
- Potential fewest portals, steps, or least time challenges
- Any suggestions you have

If you want, provide demos or videos for more thorough feedback.

As of this release there are no Easter eggs, but I want to add some.

As i expected, it was awesome! Played until chamber 12, but i had to quit. Loved all the new mechanics, great work dude. I liked how you have almost complete freedom to move around the chambers, missed that from the first Portal. Considering such freedom, there might be place for ninja ways to solve things, but for now i'm playing the normal way without trying weird things.

So far, i had only one minor issue, but i suspect it might be a general Portal problem which i don't remember and not caused by your map. At the chamber where you get the fully upgraded portal gun, if you shoot anywhere a blue portal the same time the gun auto-shoots the orange, the orange won't appear as it should be. Also if you have a blue portal where the orange is about to be placed, the blue stays and again, no orange.

Everything else worked perfect. I'm glad i decided to put Portal back in to try this. I hope it will get the attention it deserves, because it's a great mod.

soad667 wrote:
Considering such freedom, there might be place for ninja ways to solve things, but for now i'm playing the normal way without trying weird things.

As someone who did a lot of testing with Mevious for Rexaura, I can confirm that he put a lot of effort into preventing ninja solutions that make the puzzle significantly easier. Most of the tricks are either very hard to do (at which point you might as well just solve the puzzle as intended), or let you skip one of the easier steps to the puzzle. This isn't Portal Pro where a few portal tunnels can easily break a puzzle. To my knowledge, there's no ninja tricks that aren't really obvious bugs (like portal bumping under doors... and if you're using portal bumping you might as well just be noclipping to the exit) left in the mod that trivialize any puzzle, although it's possible we missed some-- feel free to mention if you find any!

This mod is damn good.Think I'm on 14 or 15.Been playing since this morning and my mind has gone for the shits now so taking a break. Great work!

Awesome mod. I played through it a few nights ago and did another checking for exploits. I like when someone takes a new concept and really expands on it through the space of each level, like a full game would. It has a fair difficulty curve with each test clever and different enough to stay interesting. Generous length as well.
BUGS

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Here I wrote down my own least portal records and noteworthy exploits I found. Hope it helps, you can ask if you want to know how I did something.
Least Portals & Exploits
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Picture that. In your dreams.
Maps:
SP MonoPortal | Lesson 0
WIP: LaserLock Preview Images

Excellent, polished work. I had quite a bit of fun until I reached the last few chambers, which felt very "fragile," in that if you messed up one step in the solving process you had to start from step one. Not something you can really fix, but it was annoying. I eventually noclipped the last two levels because I had figured out what to do, but couldn't actually perform the solution.
Other than that, the mod was a lot of fun to play, very nice looking, and the testing elements you came up with were awesome. I also enjoyed the writing, which managed to get a few laughs out of me. The voice acting itself wasn't perfect, but it was definitely better than Prelude's Microsoft Sam.
In short, 5/5. A must-play for anyone looking for something new and a challenge.

I had a hard time on the last 3,3 or 4 chambers also.Dont remember how many actually but I really enjoyed it up till then.The timers were a killer for me in the end maps thats why I noclipped after trying over and over again

Great feedback so far. :)

I'd like to know some of your solutions (or attempted solutions that are hard to perform) for the final few levels. None of the intended solutions require strict timing or difficult maneuvers, so I think you might be getting a potential solution in mind and then stuck in a loop of trying to perform something that wasn't designed to be possible. In order to limit frustration, I'd like to fix the levels so players don't get stuck trying to perform one of these near impossible solutions.

Random, I'm curious how you did 19.

Idolon wrote:
I eventually noclipped the last two levels because I had figured out what to do, but couldn't actually perform the solution.

None of the intended solutions are particularly hard to perform. Can you share what you were doing too?

andyb wrote:
The timers were a killer for me in the end maps thats why I noclipped after trying over and over again

The timing isn't supposed to be really quick so you're probably trying something I didn't plan.

I look forward to seeing your solutions.

Page 1 of 5Next