Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Amran » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 am

Level created for Thinking With Portals October 2010 contest following the reveal theme.

*Update* Uploaded a new release (1.01) that fixes a bug which prevented some players from completing the level.

A video walkthrough can be found on Youtube here:
Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZYwHEUisF8
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKF-wOYSgI

File Name: contest1010_Amran_Afterburn.zip
File Size: 44.09 MiB
Click here to download Contest 1010 - Afterburn
Last edited by Amran on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Amran
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Mek » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Oh well, this is a visually very nice map. But so hard I couldn't finish it, it got me bored. I am sure it's just me, and others will have great fun in this.
Can't believe you used portal standing as an intended solution :mrgreen:
Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
User avatar
Mek
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 466
Joined: May 30, 2008
Location: Slovakia

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Amran » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Mek wrote:
Oh well, this is a visually very nice map. But so hard I couldn't finish it, it got me bored. I am sure it's just me, and others will have great fun in this.

Boredom is definitely not what I was going for, but I admit that some puzzles need more iterations and there just wasn't time to continue refining things under the deadline. I do figure the difficulty isn't too bad, especially in comparison to a number of user maps out there, but it's certainly geared more towards the advanced chambers at times. :)

I did include a bit of a cheat that allows one to bypass the first half of the level pack right up to where things start turning towards the reveal. If you've given up on things and just want to skip around, you can place these portals on these surfaces and wait for the intro VO to end to see what I mean. Though as I said, this does skip a good 50% of the level pack.

Mek wrote:
Can't believe you used portal standing as an intended solution :mrgreen:

Guessing you're referring to the room after the first level load with the portal standing. It's just sort of a safe area to show players that that trick is possible. It was formerly necessary in later puzzles, but is now no longer needed. Still handy for one of them though!
Last edited by Amran on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Amran
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby yohoat9 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm

I agree with the boredom problem, after just a short portion of the map I had to quit, just too difficult and frustrating, also I found that the puzzles were very very random, not at all did they seem like they belonged where they were put.

[edit]
BTW, the mapping was very good, just the puzzles were too hard.
Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15
User avatar
yohoat9
Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.
 
Posts: 276
Joined: May 10, 2009

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Whysopro? » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 pm

This map was great! I love how you managed to cram every...little...bit of puzzle into these tiny tiny rooms! Good job it's like a maze in there.

I spent a hell of a lot of time on the energy ball puzzle with the cube bouncing.

Nice lights, nice setup, NICE PUZZLES, nice map! =)
I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/¯/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
_|_
User avatar
Whysopro?
Mantisman
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Dec 5, 2010
Location: Canada Eh?

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Amran » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 am

Whysopro? wrote:
This map was great! I love how you managed to cram every...little...bit of puzzle into these tiny tiny rooms! Good job it's like a maze in there.

I spent a hell of a lot of time on the energy ball puzzle with the cube bouncing.

Nice lights, nice setup, NICE PUZZLES, nice map! =)


*laughs* Thank you! That's another one of those aforementioned puzzles that needed some reworking I'd say, as it can even give me some trouble at times. The wall on the left hand side can hinder lining the cube up with too much ease.

I had fun piecing it together and intertwining the rooms so that they all fit or doubled back. Next time I'll definitely need a stricter overall plan though. :D
User avatar
Amran
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Whysopro? » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:34 pm

It's claustrophobic. It's easy to get lost. I like it. =D|-<
I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/¯/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
_|_
User avatar
Whysopro?
Mantisman
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Dec 5, 2010
Location: Canada Eh?

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby quatrus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Huge puzzles and very difficult. Like others I got tired of trying some of the solutions and no clip to the objective. There seemed to be little direction in several of the chambers - definitely need to give some thought to numbers or something helpful. Very Hard. I stopped at the room after using the cube to knock down a energy ball into a catcher - it was just too much. I'll go back later.
You put a massive amount of work into this map - I can't believe I'm saying this - you should have gone for shorter and a little more organized....
I'll rate it if I ever finish....but I think it needs more work...
quatrus
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Location: PA USA

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby quatrus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Arrgh. I got through to the boss battle in A-3. At the end of A-2 I knocked out the turrets in the room with energy balls and the door didn't open? Had to noclip through to activate Autosave for A-3.
End battle was OK - had to noclip again to get up to the second button post - I assume there is a way to fling up there from the control room..
This was quite a map, you must have worked on it for a long time. Could you go through again and organize it with numbers or something to guide players and make it easier. Some of the flings are very difficult if you don't know the gimmick...portal peeping, hop-ups(?) etc.
Still visually a very nice map - thanks for entering it into the contest... :)
quatrus
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Location: PA USA

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Amran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm

quatrus wrote:
Arrgh. I got through to the boss battle in A-3. At the end of A-2 I knocked out the turrets in the room with energy balls and the door didn't open? Had to noclip through to activate Autosave for A-3.
End battle was OK - had to noclip again to get up to the second button post - I assume there is a way to fling up there from the control room..
This was quite a map, you must have worked on it for a long time. Could you go through again and organize it with numbers or something to guide players and make it easier. Some of the flings are very difficult if you don't know the gimmick...portal peeping, hop-ups(?) etc.
Still visually a very nice map - thanks for entering it into the contest... :)

Sounds like you skipped a section there, the door you mention never actually opens back up, and you need to go through another BTS area to get behind it. (Starting by going behind the extended/slanted wall panel) This whole map could have used some proper Q/A and iteration, but at least it shows the importance of having time to do so with future projects.

There is a way to fling up from the control room too, wondering if you tipped the third turret over in the main room? (This should probably be on a timer as opposed to relying on the player disabling the turret.)

Thank you for the feedback though, these are things to keep in mind! I do like the idea of adding in numbers as reference as well.
User avatar
Amran
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby JackSafari » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:59 am

Overall impressive map. I have not been bored. It has been fun and challenging. I've liked about 90% so far. More feed back comments when I finish the map.

I believe I am stuck in the same chamber as the previous poster. I've solved the chamber over 3 times, each time differently, and I can't figure out what needs to be done next. I've a fairly advanced player, and it rare for me to get stuck in a map. I don't use noclip (unless there is a bug) to solve puzzles. In this case I need some hints.

Thanks

Stuck chamber: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/Afterburn.jpg
JackSafari
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby JackSafari » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 am

Here is a youtube video of where I am stuck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osg9Ki4vBsY

Is there a youtube walthough of this contest map?

Thanks!
JackSafari
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby JackSafari » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:55 am

I've since tried to get the turrets to shoot out the class windows, but have not been successful. As expected, turret shots don't break the type of class windows in that room, only rocket lunchers break those glass pains.
JackSafari
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby Amran » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm

JackSafari wrote:
Overall impressive map. I have not been bored. It has been fun and challenging. I've liked about 90% so far. More feed back comments when I finish the map.

I believe I am stuck in the same chamber as the previous poster. I've solved the chamber over 3 times, each time differently, and I can't figure out what needs to be done next. I've a fairly advanced player, and it rare for me to get stuck in a map. I don't use noclip (unless there is a bug) to solve puzzles. In this case I need some hints.

Thanks

Stuck chamber: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/Afterburn.jpg

You might need to stack a few things to get up there. May require backtracking to the previous room. :)
User avatar
Amran
Community Contributor
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: Contest 1010 - Afterburn

Postby JackSafari » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Amran wrote:
JackSafari wrote:
Overall impressive map. I have not been bored. It has been fun and challenging. I've liked about 90% so far. More feed back comments when I finish the map.

I believe I am stuck in the same chamber as the previous poster. I've solved the chamber over 3 times, each time differently, and I can't figure out what needs to be done next. I've a fairly advanced player, and it rare for me to get stuck in a map. I don't use noclip (unless there is a bug) to solve puzzles. In this case I need some hints.

Thanks

Stuck chamber: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/Afterburn.jpg

You might need to stack a few things to get up there. May require backtracking to the previous room. :)


....Man, I can't beleive I didn't think about that. :) It is so strange, every once in a while I'll just overlook the obvious. Nice job! You stumped me with something that I normally I would have been able to figure out. It is hard because there is no hints that the main door won't open and the player should look else where. The problem is not whether or not hints are needed in this specific chamber, its my uncertainy about trusting an unframilar designer to be fair. Sometimes a designer will throw in something he thinks is a cool new design, but requires the player to suddenly do something extremely hard and tricky without any advance notice or training. Because I have encountered many unfair design tricks, I tend to be leary when I get stumped in a chamber. :)
JackSafari
Not Even A Full Time Employee
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!
 
Next

Return to Community Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron

Search the Forums

User Menu

Register
Login

Login