[SP] Compact Compression

[SP] Compact Compression

Postby MutatedTurret » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 pm

My second map for portal 2. A fairly straight forward medium difficulty map, with slightly longer than medium length.
Utilizes moving buttons to create unique triggers.

File Name: Compact Compression V1.2.zip
File Size: 2.96 MiB
Click here to download Compact Compression
Last edited by MutatedTurret on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MutatedTurret
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Re: [SP] Compact Compression

Postby doctor who » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 am

nice i like the use of crushers but getting the ball into the slot was a bit tricky
doctor who
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby infernet89 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:43 am

The hardest part was "hey, look up! There are three white portalable pixels up there."
But there was some nice ideas there. Some of them i liked use of crushers, placing the ball, some not.
I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)
infernet89
Mantisman

Postby Metafrank » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Map plays nice, but you really need to tell people they need to to go up after getting the first cube, and I didn't see the excursion funnel at first, either. Arrows would help.
Metafrank
Community Contributor

Postby PieGuy950 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Amazing map. I love the part with the numbered crushers. If I could, I would rate this 6/5. :thumbup:
Not in cruelty
Not in wrath
The REAPER came today
An angle visited this grey path
And took the cube away
PieGuy950
Mantisman

Postby HMW » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:03 pm

This map has some clever puzzles! Especially the part where you have to do different things with the lasers, and the crusher sequence. "Do I really put it here?... checks numbers... Yes, completely sure of it. Saves game... checks again..." :) )

I have a few suggestions for improvements:

spoilers |
As Metafrank said: add some indicators for the ceiling shaft and the excursion funnel. Most players will never look up unless told to do so by clearly visible indicators at eye level.

For the excursion funnel you can add the player-flying-through-funnel symbol down below, with an arrow pointing upward. (Don't rely on sound; sometimes players may have the game sound turned off.)

For the shaft at the beginning, it may help to move one of the light bridges up to the shaft opening so it's blocking it. Make sure it's clearly visible to players when they first enter the room. Also don't put a portal surface near that bridge, so it is absolutely clear that it's only purpose is to block you from going there, and that you need to shut it off to proceed. I would say that you can then also get rid of the step fling, but that's just my opinion because I hate those things. If you do decide to keep the step fling, hide the white panel at the top better. (That's what infernet89 refers to.)

I also found it tricky to catch the ball with the two buttons. Perhaps set the funnel speed a bit slower or add a trigger_teleport or other mechanism that centers the ball over the buttons when it's close enough, so players don't have to time it so accurately. Just figuring out this part is already good fun; the finicky timing bit ruins it a bit IMO.
Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW
Senior Stalemate Associate

Postby MutatedTurret » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I suppose I could add a few more arrows here and there, but there's nothing necessarily game breaking.
I'm actually surprised it can take a bit to look up, generally when I start feeling like something/a direction is missing, I look up.
The light bridges initially were used to serve as a blocker to an excursion funnel to let you go upward...then I realized that excursion funnels go through them. >_>
They essentially should make a player go 'why are there so many light bridges here? seems like complete over kill, maybe they're trying to block something...' (this case being an infinite loop fling) was the effect I was going for.
The excursion funnel does need tweaking, I figured it was slightly annoying to deal with it as well, but still passable enough.
MutatedTurret
Community Contributor

Postby satchmo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Quote:
The light bridges initially were used to serve as a blocker to an excursion funnel to let you go upward...then I realized that excursion funnels go through them.

Funny. That was my original idea for the map sp_interception. When I realized that the mechanics isn't working out, I had to adapt the map for another puzzle. :)
satchmo
Community Contributor

Postby gurcrist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 pm

I had problems with my save. I managed to raise one of the crushers enabling me to enter the space under it. When I tried to move the portal, the crusher came down and killed me AND created a save point.. I went into an endless crusher death
gurcrist
Defective Turret

Postby awkisopen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 pm

I did a gameplay video:

You can see I struggled a fair bit with flinging myself up in the first room; portal funneling didn't seem to work at all there, so it was a fair bit harder than it had to be.

Also in the first chamber, the "compressed" cube only seemed to activate one half of the light bridges. I could "fix" this by walking up to it and grabbing/letting go until it was sort of sideways. Wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.

The fact that the ball catchers would activate for a few seconds, then deactivate struck me as odd as well.

All in all after I got past the first fling I thoroughly enjoyed this map.
awkisopen
I was told I would get $60 if I posted on the forum

Postby pfalstad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Great map, lots of clever ideas, thanks! Glad I peeked at the spoilers first to tell me to "look up". Crushing the ball took many tries but I had fun.

I just watched the previous poster's video, and it seems I missed out on some of the fun. Instead of flinging myself up, I was able to catch just a few pixels of one of the white walls at the top and just portal up.
pfalstad
Not Even A Full Time Employee

Postby Szieve » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:27 am

Nice map.:) A bit of a challenge getting the ball in the crusher.. the portal has to be pretty much in the center to get it. After solving, I looked at the posted video.. Simply didn't occur to me to stack the cubes, so I balanced one on top of one of the beacon/receptors
Szieve
Mantisman

Postby OnePortalizedGal » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 am

I liked the map - it was fine - had a unique style - The crusher puzzle could have been a little harder - but all-in-all - great work!
OnePortalizedGal
Mantisman

Postby club » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:49 am

I dont get what the point of the light bridged path the faith plate was. And it seemed the player was supposed to do multiple upward flings to climb to the upper part of the chamber, however you can see a little bit of portalable surface up there to just skip all that.

Why does the first cube slide around as if its orange-gelled?
club
Defective Turret

Postby MutatedTurret » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Update posted, fixes most of aforementioned issues.

gurcrist wrote:
I had problems with my save. I managed to raise one of the crushers enabling me to enter the space under it. When I tried to move the portal, the crusher came down and killed me AND created a save point.. I went into an endless crusher death

I am not sure how this is possible unfortunately, the only auto save in this room at the entrance.

I'm also not sure why the fist cube behaves as if covered in orange gel, it could be a glitch with being suspended in midair.
Btw for anyone interested:
|
During testing I found that it is possible to get the sphere in the clamp to behave strangely as well. If you clamp it and keep the funnel on the ball for a while, then remove it and release the button, the ball should catapult out at a high velocity. More strange bugs with source again I suppose, but it could be used for some kind of catapult puzzle?
MutatedTurret
Community Contributor

Registered users don't see ads! Register now!

Next

Return to Community Releases