Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Fudge Packer - PeTI entity_limit fix, and auto file packer.

There's been some talk of removing the 1750 entity limit from the PeTI editor (can we start calling it the PeTItor?), and having a pakrat style program add your custom content automatically. So I sorta combined them.

Basically, it replaces VBSP, then calls the original with the limit changed to 2048.
After this, it will run patch.bat. I've set this up to automatically add the sample files in filelist.txt to your .BSP, but you can mod it all you like.

I've not bothered adding a real GUI 'cause that represents a good few hours worth of work for me, and renaming files should take you a couple of seconds. And no, it won't work on a mac, not even in mono. You'd likely have to convert the batch over to a shell script and alter the source.

******** Installation:
--Rename vbsp.exe to _vbsp.exe Don't just pick some random name, make sure it's "_vbsp.exe"
--Dump the files from the bin folder in the archive into the portal bin folder

----C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonportal 2binpatch.bat
----C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonportal 2binfilelist.txt
----C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonportal 2binvbsp.exe

--Dump the sample materials from the materials folder in the archive into your platformmaterials folder. (again, not just any materials folder.. these ones...)

----C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonportal 2platformmaterialssicklebrickpreyprey_floor.vmt
----C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonportal 2platformmaterialssicklebrickpreyprey_floor.vtf

Ignore the source folder unless you wanna fiddle with it.

******** Operation:

It's best that you do this in window mode, 'cause a little window's gonna pop up with some log info.
If it's working, just hit "Donesies" and the rest of the build process will continue.

Just increasing entity limit:
-Build as normal...

Adding custom content:
-Add your files into filelist.txt
-Build as normal...
-Read this: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/BSPZIP

You can add more commands or whatever to patch.bat too, or just completely empty it to skip the packing process.

******** Q & A

Q: Didn't start.
A: Download the .net runtimes. Google this. No handholding.

Q: Didn't work.
A: If this doesn't work, telling me as much info as possible is a good idea. Telling me it doesn't work, doesn't help. Not reading the help first doesn't help. Reading the help and not paying attention doesnt help. Helping me help you helps me, and you. Everyone wins, hugs & cuppycakes. Bigger maps and happy faces.

Q:VirusStole password.
A:No it didn't. It just borrowed it.

Q: Warranty?
A: Nope.

Q: How do I check that my map's been packed?
A: Use pakrat or read up the BSPZip documentation to see how to unzip.

******** Download:
C# source included in archive.

0.1:
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2067

you shouldn't do this, there was a reason for an entity limit.

I like this idea! I've never hit the entity limit, but packing stuff in is nice.

It might be good to make it not depend on .NET runtimes. Compiling with MinGW and -static would make it into a very simple executable without external dependencies.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Great idea. But please upload this to the download database instead. You can use an external URL to point to your site if you still want to host it at your site.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
FelixGriffin wrote:
...It might be good to make it not depend on .NET runtimes. Compiling with MinGW and -static would make it into a very simple executable without external dependencies.

I'm not a fan of the .NET dependencies either, but I quite like C# for these quick little programs. I've been toying with the idea of adding a gui to create quick, named file lists that can be passed from hammer (extra parameter) too, so it makes sense to stick with C# for laziness' sake. That and I've been dragging myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century trying to accept that everything's gonna end up running on one virtual platform or another before long!

npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
Great idea. But please upload this to the download database instead. You can use an external URL to point to your site if you still want to host it at your site.

Sure thing, but do you mean upload as an attachment, or just shift the thread over to one of the download-enabled sections? I'm not too fussed where it's hosted to be honest,
Would you mind moving it over to downloadsother files for example :)?

If you want, I could write a C++ version. I'm not sure of what this version does, but couldn't it work as something like

Code: Select all
int main(){
    system("_vbsp -entity_limit [whatever]");
    system("patch.bat");
    return 0;
}

(until the GUI comes out, of course)?

EDIT: Wait...patch.bat seems to just execute what's passed to it. Shouldn't there be a bspzip command?

Falsi sumus crusto!
sicklebrick wrote:
Sure thing, but do you mean upload as an attachment, or just shift the thread over to one of the download-enabled sections? I'm not too fussed where it's hosted to be honest,
Would you mind moving it over to downloadsother files for example :)?

I mean, go to the Download page, to the Portal 2 section, in the "Other Files" section. And create a new "Upload". You can copy/paste the contents of your OP here. And you can either upload the file to our server (which frankly is ideal, in case your host ever goes down, we have an available copy) or use the external URL to link to yours.

Trust me it makes sense when you're there.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I'll bigspoiler tech info for now :)

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
...instructions...
Trust me it makes sense when you're there.

Yeah that works :)
Was just worried I'd have to reply in 2 threads, but meh... could be worse.

Ah! This makes much more sense now! And it works perfectly, thanks!

Falsi sumus crusto!

See the download here:
community-releases/fudgepacker-t6692.html

locking this thread ^_^