Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Could someone make me a custom portal gun skin?

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey, I've been wanting to make a simple reskin of the portal gun for a while now, but VTFEdit keeps throwing errors whenever I try to run it. I've tried all the fixes I've heard of but still can't get the darn thing to open.

So, could some helpful soul make a reskin for me? It's nothing complex.
I'd like it to say "Good point," and just below that, "Tyronis". The phrase "Good point, Tyronis" comes from an odd series of events that would be too confusing to explain, but that's besides the point. I'd like it to be in a simple font type and black.

Thanks for any help or assistance. I hope this isn't asking for too much or that it sounds needy.

Do you want it clean or dirty?

spongylover123 wrote:
Do you want it clean or dirty?

Clean please. Just how it regularly is, but with the phrase on it.

Ok, have it to you in a minute.

Here's the dirty version, but if you want I can upload the clean one.
just change the name from v_portalgun to tclean/dirty_portalgun in the pak_01dir.vpk.

EDIT: ADDED A CLEAN ONE

Thank you!
Sorry for the noob question but I'm not sure how exactly to edit the pak01_dir.vpk
Should I open it in GFCScape or Notepad++? Also there are multiple places where it says v_portalgun, do I change them all or only a certain one?

find v_portalgun in Notepad++
and find this phrase.

Code: Select all
}v_portalgun ???5/ ?"      ??VertexLitGeneric
{
$baseTexture "modelsweaponsv_modelsv_portalgun/v_portalgun"

$bumpmap "modelsweaponsv_modelsv_portalgunv_portalgun_normal"
$phong 1
$phongexponenttexture "modelsweaponsv_modelsv_portalgunv_portalgun_exponent"

$phongboost 1

$phongfresnelranges "[5 1 2]"

change it to the name of the texture

Is there anyway you could just let me download the modified pak01_dir.vpk? I have no idea what any of this means and can't get it to work. I apologize for being an idiot but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Tyronis3 wrote:
Is there anyway you could just let me download the modified pak01_dir.vpk? I have no idea what any of this means and can't get it to work. I apologize for being an idiot but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nope! Because then, yarrrr, it'd be piracy of some sort.

Open Notepad++ and then open the pak01_dir.vpk file. Hit Ctrl+F and search for the string "v_portalgun". If it pops up more than once, keep cycling through the results until you find the one that matches what spongylover123 put in the code section. Then, in the line that starts with $baseTexture, change "v_portalgun" to whatever the name of the skin (the file spongylover provided) is. Save the file, open P2, and it should work.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
Tyronis3 wrote:

Nope! Because then, yarrrr, it'd be piracy of some sort.

Open Notepad++ and then open the pak01_dir.vpk file. Hit Ctrl+F and search for the string "v_portalgun". If it pops up more than once, keep cycling through the results until you find the one that matches what spongylover123 put in the code section. Then, in the line that starts with $baseTexture, change "v_portalgun" to whatever the name of the skin (the file spongylover provided) is. Save the file, open P2, and it should work.

Oh. Ok thanks for the advice. Don't I have to put the .vtf file somewhere?

Page 1 of 2Next