Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Shadows of a grate

Page 1 of 3Next

Hello everyone,

Here is my problem :
I have a room, with a light, and a vertical grate in the center of the room.
The grate is made of a func_brush not solid with a grate texture, and is surrounded by a func_clip_vphysics, and a brush textured with playerclip. I made it like this because i wanted :
- to be able to shoot portals through the grate
- a light bridge to pass through the grate
- the player and the cubes to be stopped by the grate
So far, everything works perfect. But now i would like to get realistic shadows of the grate on the wall.
I tried with a simple light, with a hard light, i tried adding a env_projectedtexture...but none worked.
I wonder if we can get shadows of a "texture", or if it only makes a shadow of the brush. But i've seen videos like this one : is it a grate texture or a specific grate model ?

Does anyone have the solution ?
Thanks

What grate texture are you using? It worked fine for me using a env_projectedtexture.

Did you disable the shadows? Do that and add an env_projectedtexture and it should work fine. It does for me anyway. It may also be what Habzs said and it may just be the texture your using.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

I'd suggest to lower the lightmap scale value with the Face Edit Sheet (use for instance a "4" value). If you check out this on the VDC, you'll see how different values can affect shadowing. :thumbup:

Ofc, use a env_proj_tex, make sure you set to YES the "Enable Shadows", and try a light_spot that it's more a "complete" entity than a normal light.

I don't know what grate texture you're using but if you are making the squares big enough (bigger scale than 0.25 on X and Y axis), you can also complement the frames by blocklight textured brushes that will help you to project shadows...

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

First, thanks for help !
I can't solve it, and here are the details :

portal2 2012-06-19 17-37-45-76.jpg

- the grate texture is metal/backstage_grate_002b
- here are the settings for the func_brush with the grate texture :

Sans titre.jpg

- here are the settings for the env_projectedtexture :

Sans titre2.jpg

- i tried changing the lightmap scale but it didn't work (which brush face should have a lower lightmap scale ? the grate's, or the wall ? i tried for both...)
- i tried copying my grate and my env_projectedtexture in another map (a single room made for tests) and it works there !!! :

portal2 2012-06-19 17-38-17-07.jpg

What's wrong with all that ??

EDIT : the env_projectedtexture is facing the grate in both maps (the problem is not caused by Pitch Yaw Roll...)

EDIT 2 : See Nacimota's post (next page) for his explanations about static and dynamic lighting concepts.

Canari, try to set a higher Brightness scale value, for example 4 or 5, not 0.25.

Also, as I told you earlier, lower the lightmap scale of the walls texture with the Face Edit Sheet.

Anyway, if the walls that you're trying to project shadows onto are those black walls, I'm afraid you'll have problems anyway, don't you think? try using lighter wall colour textures. :wink:

josepezdj wrote:
Canari, try to set a higher Brightness scale value, for example 4 or 5, not 0.25.

Also, as I told you earlier, lower the lightmap scale of the walls texture with the Face Edit Sheet.

Anyway, if the walls that you're trying to project shadows onto are those black walls, I'm afraid you'll have problems anyway, don't you think? try using lighter wall colour textures. :wink:

Yes, i tried with different brightness scales (and 0.25 was the last one i tried).
I've just tried what you say :
- a brightness scale of 5
- a lower lightmap scale (it was 16 and i set it to 4)

Sans titre3.jpg

- with lighter wall colour textures
And the result is :

portal2 2012-06-19 19-26-20-66.jpg

Still don't have any shadow :cry:

Do you have an idea ? :notworthy:

EDIT : See Nacimota's post (next page) for his explanations about static and dynamic lighting concepts.

canari wrote:

Try changing the 'Disable shadows' option to No. Just throwing ideas out there.

And "Shadows" at the bottom to "Yes".

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
And "Shadows" at the bottom to "Yes".

Exactly! I missed that!

Page 1 of 3Next