Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Custom sp_lightboard_icons.txt in a map

Page 1 of 3Next

I've searched in vain for a way to overwrite a text file in the bsp of a map.

You see, I've looked into making my own testchamber signs today, and have no problem with editing sp_lightboard_icons.txt to the desired outcome. But ofcourse only I would see my edited text file, so I want to add it into my bsp. Problem is, I don't know how to add a txt into the bsp with Pakrat as I would do with textures and models. As in, I could add the file but it will have the same name as the original text file, and I'm pretty sure people won't like it if I ask to overwrite their Portal 2 files...

So how does one change which txt to use instead of sp_lightboard_icons.txt?

I hope I've succeeded in conveying the problem well enough, sorry if this is unclear. Any help is appreciated.
Also, I've looked for this long enough, also on TWP, but I just can't find the same issue. Seems most people would just rather make a VPK...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]

What are you asking?
How to not overidde the original sp_lightboard_icons?

If it is,
1)Try using the (#include "scriptname") string
If that doesn't work.
2)Try to copy everything from the original txt into your txt and add you map in it.
If that doesn't work,
3)Try changing the name by adding a prefix and test it.

All custom content is added through the bsp starting at the portal 2/portal2 directory and the sp_lightboard_icons are located in: portal 2portal2scriptsvscriptstransitions. So you will need to add the file with the path relative to scriptsvscriptstransitions.

(pakrat)

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop

Thanks for your responses, both of you. However:

spongylover123 wrote:
1)Try using the (#include "scriptname") string
2)Try to copy everything from the original txt into your txt and add you map in it.
chickenmobile wrote:
All custom content is added through the bsp starting at the portal 2/portal2 directory and the sp_lightboard_icons are located in: portal 2portal2scriptsvscriptstransitions. So you will need to add the file with the path relative to scriptsvscriptstransitions. (pakrat)

I know where the script are located and I can edit them without screwing thing up for myself. I can also add them (through Pakrat, yes), but if I add in sp_lightboard_icons.txt it won't use anything new, it'll use whatever file players have in vscriptstransitions with that name on their computer (I've tried adding it and then changing the name). I need a file with another name, for instance sp_lightboard_icons_fr.txt or something like that. But then how do I make the game use that text file instead (and just in this bsp)?

spongylover123 wrote:
3)Try changing the name by adding a prefix and test it.

I don't quite get what you mean here. How do I add a prefix to the script (without affecting if it's used)?

I'm thinking I need to use a function to set wich text file to replace with what. I just don't know if that's possible. I've looked at the list of functions on the VDC, without result. I'm no good at programming, really...

Maps in Development:

you could always make a pak01_dir.vpk in a portal2_dlc4 folder.

spongylover123 wrote:
you could always make a pak01_dir.vpk in a portal2_dlc4 folder.

Hmmm, I don't really like vpk's. Gets rid of all the simplicity of a simple bsp... If there's really no other way then I think I'll pass on the whole thing...
Thanks anyway. I'll just go :notwant: ...

Maps in Development:

There's some lightboard sign generators out there, you could try using that.

I always edit the pak01_dir.vpk in the "updates" folder

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
Bayleaf wrote:
There's some lightboard sign generators out there, you could try using that.

I guess I can, indeed.

CamBen wrote:
I always edit the pak01_dir.vpk in the "updates" folder

Eeh, that is in a vpk though, right? I prefer not to use those... Simplicity to the users and all that...

Maps in Development:

Packing a sp_lightboard_icons.txt into your bsp file won't work, unfortunately. It is processed before any maps are loaded, so your modifications won't be seen by the game.

Does anyone know where the actual coding for the lightboard is? (I.e. the code that reads the data in sp_lightboard_icons.txt and assembles the sign layout.) If it's in a .nut script, then there might be some hacking opportunities there, but if it's hardcoded into the game, then I'm afraid we're fucked.
(Short of messing with the VPK files, but I'm also not a big fan of that.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
Page 1 of 3Next