FelixGriffin's Contest Entry - Forcefields and Cubes

Uploaded August 3, 2012 by FelixGriffin

Description

Two new testing elements are introduced in this map: the Physics Repulsion Field, and the Portal Deflection Cube. Enjoy! This is my first released map, made quickly to beat the deadline. A more polished version is upcoming. Enjoy! Also, props to you if you can save your companion cube and escape! Notes and Glitches: I think this is the first Portal 2 map to feature two departure elevators. The way they're coded each can lead to a different level, which could be interesting in a mod. If you don't understand the fields, try dropping something on the one in the first room. Then jump down. If you don't understand the cubes, the red squiggle inside means it's activated. Fire a portal at it, and it will turn it into a deflectable laser. The hint in the second room is glitchy, hold down the "Fire Orange Portal" button (mouse2) and drag when you're holding a cube. GLaDOS should say something at the end if you saved the cube, but I ran out of suitable lines. Something from Portal 1 might work better. Sorry about that. Feel free to use any of this stuff, I'll post the source code and materials/models on TWP. I know the textures are fairly boring, Hammer kept crashing when I used the Face Edit Tool. As far as I know there are wall textures on the walls, floors on the floors, and ceilings on the ceilings, so I got that right at least. The script running the cubes (which is still a little glitchy, sorry) is heavily based on HMW's Sendificator script. If you haven't already, play his maps. They're amazing. This is my first map, so I hope I didn't make any too-horrible mapping mistakes. If you get trapped outside the test chambers, GLaDOS can't help you. Reload, and bring the cube with you next time. I'm really sorry about this, but I couldn't think of a good way for her to free you. If you manage to get trapped under the elevator between the second and third chambers, GLaDOS is able to "help" you there. It was a lot easier before I revised the triggers, and getting stuck there now is achievement-worthy. I know this is fairly easy, but it's meant to be an introduction. To play around more with a similar field, which inspired this one, play Omnicoder's Portal 2 map Retrospective, and one of his Portal 1 maps which I don't remember the name of ATM. I have at least five or six even cooler puzzles planned for these elements, which will be released after the competition. [?] #supercontest2012 FelixGriffin